Canopy Hold open

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Canopy Hold open

Postby Skippydiesel » Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:53 am

sonex892. wrote:That spring arrangement is interesting.

Skippydiesel wrote:GAS SPRINGS

FYI - for anyone wanting to go down this rout for a canopy strut;

"but came to realize the force when it was compressed was distorting the somewhat flimsy frame"

If anyone knows of a product, similar in dimension/appearance to a gas spring, that will act to dampen the opening/closing action of my canopy, please send me the details.

Hey Skip

To stop the distortion I used a small piece of angle with rubber glued to it as a stopper see this link for a photo. I also beefed up behind the turtledeck bulkhead with some angle brackets, these brackets may or may not have been overkill.
https://images.app.goo.gl/uvQwqt7ZQrUgzvPv8
Where I positioned my strut it goes over centre in both the closed and opened positions. Which means it puts some downward pressure on the canopy when closed also. The details of my strut and fixing locations are here in a 7 year old post. http://www.sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic. ... rut#p16693
After 12 years I'm on my second strut. The first one ran out of pressure at about the 10 year mark. I went to a local strut guy re gas guy he had new ones in many sizes and pressures. A new low pressure one cost me about $25..
Steve

Hi Steve - impressive looking aircraft and obviously talented builder. Like you I have strengthened my canopy frame to accommodate the forces generated when the whole thing "flops" open (I do try to remember to let it down slowly). The added stiffening/strength seems to work well but I would like my gas spring to be more progressive. I "sacrificed" a gas strut, in the hope of finding some way to convert it into a two way damper. Waste of a good strut. The theory behind a damper is simple (could even be adjustable) need not be hydraulic (oil) could be just as effective using air. I will contact Guden about a two way dampening strut.
Skippydiesel

Previous

Return to Sonex