Rudder Trim

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Rudder Trim

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:27 pm

GraemeSmith wrote:You can't take a skin from (say a 1965 built) 150 and fit it to another. If nothing else - none of the rivet holes will REMOTELY line up. And the skins will often not fit for curvature. Hence when repairing - you have to start with a new skin and make it fit. Or have a whole component assembly from the junk yard with a chance the attachment points will line up.

I rebuilt a 1946 Cessna C140 and was amazed at how well parts from one would fit another. I think they had good tooling.

My hand-built (from CNC laser cut parts) Waiex ended up pretty straight and true.

Igor Sikorsky said "If you build an airplane straight, it will fly straight. If you build it crooked, it will fly crooked."
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby GraemeSmith » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:46 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:I rebuilt a 1946 Cessna C140 and was amazed at how well parts from one would fit another. I think they had good tooling.

Course you did! :-) And I'm not being fresh. I suspect the immediate post war planes were much better built. Not that the period in the '60's were not well built - but they were cranking them out. I can't tell you the number of those where stuff just doesn't fit well between planes.

Bryan Cotton wrote:Igor Sikorsky said "If you build an airplane straight, it will fly straight. If you build it crooked, it will fly crooked."

THAT THERE is a good summary of what I've been droning on about!! :-)
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:30 am

Graeme, I believe you that the C150/2 series is not the same as the C140. As I said I was really surprised how well parts fit. I did remake a lot of parts from scratch Sometimes that is just a lot easier and ends up better in the end.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby GraemeSmith » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:15 pm

I photographed this today.

Legacy Sonex
200lb pilot left seat
20lb tools etc right side.

So about a 180lb moment in the center of the left seat.

My "aileron trim bungee" pulls the stick this amount to the right.

20230121_115618.jpg

Which applies this amount of aileron in straight and level flight at 95KIAS

20230121_121922.jpg

Sorry - didn't get out while in flight with the protractor to measure the angle. Left the parachute in the car today.......
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Skippydiesel » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:46 pm

Latest -

Reduced my rudder trim to 100 x 30mm and lowered my left flap 1/2 turn. Good result! aircraft now straight & level in cruise flight. May attempt to minimise size of rudder trim tab or just leave as is.

Next big push(after test flight schedule completed) is to come up with a better radiator/oil cooler locations, which will mean a change in cowling shape.
Skippydiesel

Postby Onex107 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:11 am

Skippydiesel wrote:Latest -

Reduced my rudder trim to 100 x 30mm and lowered my left flap 1/2 turn. Good result! aircraft now straight & level in cruise flight. May attempt to minimise size of rudder trim tab or just leave as is.

Next big push(after test flight schedule completed) is to come up with a better radiator/oil cooler locations, which will mean a change in cowling shape.

I found that by adding gap seals to the rudder and elevator it straightened my Onex out without trim tabs.
Onex107
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby pfhoeycfi » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:32 pm

John Monnett wrote:Over the years and a bunch of aircraft I have used a simple method to determine the size of trim tabs. A length of a common soda straw is taped to the trailing edge of the surface on the side you want to deflect. Make an educated guess as to the length,(say 8 to 6") and test fly. trim the length to adjust. Once you've got it right, then make an aluminum tab to match.

I tried that this morning and it worked well. I will make a small tab based on the straw dimensions.
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby Skippydiesel » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:25 pm

Onex107 wrote:
Skippydiesel wrote:Latest -

I found that by adding gap seals to the rudder and elevator it straightened my Onex out without trim tabs.
Onex107
Skippydiesel

Previous

Return to Sonex