Trike vs TW

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Trike vs TW

Postby tps8903 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:46 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:
OneTallShort wrote:
I think the best rationale for a nosedragger is wanting one.

Agreed
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Sonex #1732 - Aerovee Turbo
Central Florida
tps8903

Postby LarryEWaiex121 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:25 pm

As a Waiex owner/builder with just under a thousand hours in 12 yrs of flying it, I can say that the only reason I built the Waiex as a tail dragger was because of looks. I learned to fly long before TW endorsements so that wasn't an issue, along with insurance matters.
For me the decision was easy. Look at a Piper Pacer and then go look at a Tri-Pacer and subjectively pick what you like and don't like about each.
Bet for pure looks, you'll go with the Pacer every time.
Pretty shallow rational but thats all it took for me. :)

Larry
LarryEWaiex121

Postby daleandee » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:11 pm

I had a nose roller Sonex with the VW conversion that I put 175 hours on before I sold it. The tri-gear Sonex was likely the easiest airplane to land that I have ever flown ... even easier than a Cessna 150. Landing in crosswinds were not a big concern as once the mains were down the nose wheel would get planted shortly afterwards and it would just stick to the runway.

I came to the tail dragger because I wanted more power and more reliability with the engine on the nose of the airplane. I decided on Corvair power and at that time the only option for a mount was a tailwheel. I knew that it was another skill set and the challenge of learning to fly a taildragger was very intriguing. The Sonex taildragger is quite well behaved and, while it needs attention to take-offs and landings, it is not a difficult taildragger to fly.

But to Larry's point ... the taildragger Sonex (especially with the Corvair cowling) is quite striking and to me is a thing of beauty.

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel
daleandee

Previous

Return to Sonex