Anti corrosion primer

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Anti corrosion primer

Postby robysonex » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:43 pm

Hello all,

Any of you builders gave the wing structure a coat of anti corrosion primer before closing it? or perhaps even before riveting the single pieces together, or left the aluminum sheets as they came? Or have you used Corrosion-X

Thanks for your help.

Roberto Grassi
Sonex Legacy kit #1433
robysonex

Re: Anti corrosion primer

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:26 pm

Roberto,
I left the sheets as they came. 6061-T6 is pretty corrosion resistant. Most antique cessnas have no primer with their 2024-T3 alclad and many of them have lasted over 70 years. I restored a 1946 C140 and it had some corrosion issues, but 1946 was a long time ago. Primer adds weight, cost, and time to your project.

Others I am sure will have a different viewpoint.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby GraemeSmith » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:34 pm

From the build log pictures - my builder used zinc chromate primer on all faying surfaces in the wing and tail feathers.

Builder.JPG
Builder.JPG (201.55 KiB) Viewed 1070 times

During a wing repair I did same.

Repair.jpg
Repair.jpg (107.12 KiB) Viewed 1070 times

I also Corrosion-X anything else I can get to. Just this week during the Condition Inspection - after the empennage was cleaned and inspected it was wetted down with Corrosion-X. I also injected the main spar box with same.

CorrosionX.jpg
CorrosionX.jpg (91.04 KiB) Viewed 1070 times

I am located on the coast and fogging with Corrosion-X or ACF is a way of life. And while it is true that Piper and Cessna did not use primers inside their planes (well Cessna did on their floatplanes) - they are built of heavier gauge material than these LSA's. They can take a little "frosting" - for us - that's the beginning of something serious!
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:45 pm

GraemeSmith wrote: And while it is true that Piper and Cessna did not use primers inside their planes (well Cessna did on their floatplanes) - they are built of heavier gauge material than these LSA's. They can take a little "frosting" - for us - that's the beginning of something serious!

The C140 I restored had a lot of 0.020 and 0.032 in it. But some parts, like spar doublers and landing gear structure, are heavier.

If I was going to prime, I'd do like Graeme's builder did - a light coat on faying surfaces.

Considering Graeme is outdoors on the coast, what he has plus the corrosion-x is a good thing. I'm in the Midwest, and in a hangar. So it depends on your situation as well.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Return to Sonex