Landing gear bolt broke

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Landing gear bolt broke

Postby rbarber » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:53 pm

I had to tap them in (they were snug), but otherwise done as the original specifications. I did take more than a little care getting the 0.7 degrees of toe in correct. I land on both grass and pavement, and anyone who has seen my landings would laugh hard if someone accused me of good landings. It may be worth mentioning that my gear legs are slightly longer than the specified length, less than an inch, IIRC. I doubt that would make any real difference. The mystery remains...

R.
Sonex 271, N157SX (Sexy Hexy)
>1200 hrs (and a lot of crappy landings) on the original SS bolts.
rbarber

Postby n502pd » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:37 pm

Thanx for the update! axel bolt upgrade was what i was mostly interested.
Joe Nelsen
scratch built :D
Sirpeedee, N502PD, s/n 1510, Aero Vee 2.1 s/n 0870,
ADS-B in (Stratux)/out(SkyBeacon)
Flying @78.2
KGYI/N. Tx Reg/Perrin Field
EAA Technical Counselor, Chapter 323, Sherman, TX
n502pd

Postby Skippydiesel » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:07 pm

Skippydiesel wrote:
Skippydiesel wrote:I am not the origional builder and may have my "wires" crossed but think I may have a Grove undercarriage - do these bolt concerns include Grove?

My Sonex has Tracy O'Brien legs

Is there a well informed Sonex person, who might tell me if the central topic of this thread/conversation, includes TO'B legs ????
Skippydiesel

Postby sonex892. » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:41 am

Skippydiesel wrote:
Skippydiesel wrote:
Skippydiesel wrote:I am not the origional builder and may have my "wires" crossed but think I may have a Grove undercarriage - do these bolt concerns include Grove?

My Sonex has Tracy O'Brien legs

Is there a well informed Sonex person, who might tell me if the central topic of this thread/conversation, includes TO'B legs ????

I dont know about well informed. The one thing I do know for sure is he sold welded axles to fit on the titanium legs. These are virtually the same as sonex, except they had hollow axles and were made for their wheels and brakes. I think they also sold complete steel gear legs that would bolt to the engine mount the same as the standard titanium rod but the axle bolt is ommitted as it is part of the gear leg.

So do you have titanium legs with a 1/4" bolt in the axle and one 1/4" bolt in the engine mount? If yes. "It is the same as a Sonex"
Do you have steel legs with a 1/4" bolt in each leg in the upper engine mount? If yes. "Should only have to worry about the top bolt"

Steve
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Previous

Return to Sonex