Major airframe modification

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Major airframe modification

Postby lpaaruule » Mon May 01, 2023 10:44 am

Anybody have experience with modification of an existing airframe from a regulatory standpoint?

For example, I know that there has been extended wingtip modifications. That seems like a major modification because it could result in much more main spar stress.

With that in mind, and the fact that having a sport plane doesn't mean as much as it did before basic med, if each wing was shortened 14", what would be involved to stay legal?

I like the idea of the Sonex high wing, and Xenos detachable wingtips. I know that Glasair III has something similar.
Paul LaRue
Sonex N454EE Plans# 1509
Jabiru 3300
First Flight 12/21/2017
http://www.mykitlog.com/lpaaruule
lpaaruule

Re: Major airframe modification

Postby GraemeSmith » Mon May 01, 2023 5:41 pm

It's an EXPERIMENTAL. Knock yourself out. You do the math. You figure if it is safe. You put it back in Phase 1. You test it. It's legal if you survive!
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby lpaaruule » Mon May 01, 2023 8:49 pm

I suppose the hard part would be insuring it. Also if ever decide to sell, it would might complicate things.

It’s probably not worth the hassle.
Paul LaRue
Sonex N454EE Plans# 1509
Jabiru 3300
First Flight 12/21/2017
lpaaruule

Postby Skippydiesel » Wed May 03, 2023 8:45 pm

Cant speak for Uncle Sam (& friends) but here in Australia, Graeme's advice is good.

Insurance - no problem. Your premium may initially be higher but then I pay additional cause its a tail wheel.

Selling - As long as you declare all structural and other potential safety issues (in writing dated & signed by both you & purchaser) its "Caveat Emptor"
Skippydiesel

Postby lpaaruule » Sun May 07, 2023 2:45 pm

Thanks for the input.

I suppose hiring an aircraft structural engineer isn’t out of the question either.
Paul LaRue
Sonex N454EE Plans# 1509
Jabiru 3300
First Flight 12/21/2017
lpaaruule

Postby Skippydiesel » Mon May 08, 2023 6:52 pm

lpaaruule wrote:Thanks for the input.

I suppose hiring an aircraft structural engineer isn’t out of the question either.

Always a good strategy to run modifications past a number of experienced builders - humans don't have origional thought/concepts, we build on the experience of others. In doing so we minimise the risks of failure/error and the time taken to "jump" to a hopefully workable solution.
Skippydiesel

Return to Sonex