sight picture (over the nose)

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: sight picture (over the nose)

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:42 pm

We did a test sit in the hangar this evening. Adam is a little taller than me and took out one layer of foam for canopy clearance. I'm going to try it with both pieces in. Didn't get to fly it as we were finishing up the oil change and valve adjustment.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Kai » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:05 pm

sonex892. wrote:Photos of the sight picture and relative angle of the longeron with the horizon taken doing 122kts this morning. To my eyes the longeron looks to be level with the horizon.

Agreed- doing 125 kts in my sg ds Legacy/120HP EP915ECI, I have noticed the same sight picture: the canopy rail/fuselage top longeron is as good as parallell with the horizon; perhaps maybe a tad nose up. A most instructive picture: very useful for calibrating the fuel sight tube during cruising flight.

Thanks
Kai
Kai

Postby Skippydiesel » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:29 pm

Talking seat boosters;

I covered/glued cheap cotton cloth, to all sided of a 20 mm thick polystyrene insulation sheet.
The cloth is to prevent the polystyrene from crumbling away on the edges.
The Sonex seat pan is sloped, so by having the "booster" behind my back cushion, I not only move forward but up as well - places me perfectly in the cockpit.
Skippydiesel

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:28 pm

Took off just after sunset for a short flight. I can see over the nose! Awesome. I'll have to get a picture later, we didn't have a lot of time.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:57 am

Here is my sight level picture at 100 kts. Visibility was not the best and the absolute horizon was obscured. But, I can see forward!
Waiex 191 over the nose.png
Waiex 191 over the nose.png (504.73 KiB) Viewed 3747 times
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

sight picture (over the nose)

Postby jklPDXPilot » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:37 pm

Brock, where do you fly out of? I see Woodland and Scappoose freqs on your radio in the picture.

I fly out of Scappoose and am considering building a Sonex.

Would you be open to showing me your plane?

James

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
jklPDXPilot

Postby Kai » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:30 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:Here is my sight level picture at 100 kts. Visibility was not the best and the absolute horizon was obscured. But, I can see forward!
The attachment Waiex 191 over the nose.png is no longer available

This shot was taken apprx 5 years ago- still with the 120HP Jab engine. The motor has since been replaced with a 120HP Edge EP915ECI. Over the nose sight picture is almost identical. Altimeter shows 2700 ft, which is amsl. The picture was take early spring (about +3 centigrades ambient ground temp)
Attachments
cockpit 002.jpeg
Kai

Postby BRS » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:45 pm

jklPDXPilot wrote:Brock, where do you fly out of? I see Woodland and Scappoose freqs on your radio in the picture.

I fly out of Scappoose and am considering building a Sonex.

Would you be open to showing me your plane?

James

Sure James, come on over. PM sent.

As a followup on the sight picture I've made a few rigging changes that I think will solve things. I first started by tickling down the flaps switch (while in flight). Just a slight change made all the difference in lowering the nose. Then back at the hangar I looked closely and noticed that the flaps were up from the ailerons about a 1/2". When I set them up I did my best to align with a straight edge on a curved wing like the plans say but straight and curved don't agree. So this time I zeroed my electronic 6" protractor on the trail of the wing in front of the flaps then compaired to the trail edge of the flaps. The difference was 2 deg. So after turning the heim joints out 1-1/2 turns I had the flaps angle matching the wing and they also aligned evenly with the ailerons. How about that! I've not flown since as I'm replacing the AeroInjector with a Rotec carb.

The second thing I did was to print four of Peter's flap stops (pireted them from pictures and descriptions, hope you don't mind too much Peter). So with these installed, the flap comes up to where they should be and no higher. Again, waiting for the Rotec installation to go test it all out.
Attachments
Flap-stops.jpg
Here is a pic of the flap stops
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby Tony4aro » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:53 am

BRS wrote:
The second thing I did was to print four of Peter's flap stops (pireted them from pictures and descriptions, hope you don't mind too much Peter). So with these installed, the flap comes up to where they should be and no higher. Again, waiting for the Rotec installation to go test it all out.

Would you mind sharing the model so I could print a set of stops?
Corvair powered Waiex (under construction)
N3848D
W0181
Tony4aro

Postby BRS » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:34 pm

Tony,
PM sent. Don't think I can upload a STL here.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

PreviousNext

Return to Sonex