Length of Bending Brake For A Scratch Build?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Length of Bending Brake For A Scratch Build?

Postby Charles1954 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:02 pm

Is my 48" bending brake long enough if I want to scratch-build a Sonex? Is the rear wing spar channel one long 10' piece or can it be spliced from two pieces?
Charles1954

Re: Length of Bending Brake For A Scratch Build?

Postby Area 51% » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:43 pm

The good news...My Legacy plans show a splice in the rear spar even though the supplied spar in my kit is full length.

The bad news...(maybe) The splice is not at mid-point but greatly favors the inboard section of the spar. 96in for the inboard section and only 13in at the outboard. .
Area 51%

Postby BobDz » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:33 pm

What is the thickness of the material for the Spar?

An aluminum siding brake will bend 032.
Would that work?
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
(technically within walking distance of Sonex)
N624DZ (reserved)

Plans exist to eliminate confusion, not create it.
BobDz

Postby kmacht » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:18 pm

A 4’ brake is big enough if you buy the channel kit from sonex (it they still offer it). If you don’t buy the pieces of C channel from them you will need a longer brake. Off the top of my head I think the c channel that runs down the underside of the turtledeck is the longest piece that would need to be bent. Check out the zenith 601 builders website as well as Mike smiths sonex build log. They both show how to make a long enough brake out of some angle iron and hinges.

Keith #554
kmacht

Postby peter anson » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:47 pm

The only parts that are too big for 4' brake are the flaps and rear spar. However, the control surfaces are pretty tricky to get right. I recommend you buy them from Sonex and if you do that you may as well buy the rear spars too.

Peter
peter anson

Postby karmarepair » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:43 am

BobDz wrote:An aluminum siding brake will bend 032.
Would that work?

In my experience, no, siding brakes are rated to bend nearly dead soft annealed 1000 or 5000 series aluminum, and not the fairly stiff 6061-t6. You'll get a bow in the middle of a long bend
karmarepair

Postby karmarepair » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:56 am

If you're a hard case, use this method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9kR-OnoJgM

Use more clamps than Mattias uses here (the siding he's bending is pretty soft), and if you can, clamp with a piece of square steel tubing.

I have seen, but now can't find, a video of the designer of the Thatcher CX-4 beating out the MAIN SPARS at Sun'N'Fun using a folding table, a long, straight 2 x 4, and a dead blow hammer as a demo. I've made some fairly long bends myself. Go SLOW, only a few degrees of plastic deformation each pass, or you'll get ripples in the flanges due to stretching.
karmarepair

Postby mike.smith » Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:57 pm

I built one long enough to bend the rear spars without a splice. As it turned out, I MIS-CUT the channels, and ended up with the splice anyway. Oh, well!

https://www.cannedhamtrailers.com/pdfs/ ... eplans.pdf
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Return to Sonex