Legacy canopy alignment pin, D01

Legacy canopy alignment pin, D01

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:39 pm

I built my canopy details to the plans. Page WIX-D01 (probably SNX-D01 too) view L-L shows the square aluminum tube tapped 10-32 on the bottom only. My pin was loose and I discovered the threads in the thin tube were blown out. I updrilled, tapped for 1/4-28, and made a new pin. I tapped a few more threads so the pin could thread in top and bottom, plus I epoxied it in. No loctite as that is bad for lexan or plexiglass.
new canopy alignment pin.png
new canopy alignment pin.png (198.89 KiB) Viewed 7760 times

I trimmed too many threads off the first 1/4" pin in the picture and had to make another. It's in the picture for comparison to the original.

For those who have not completed your canopy yet, consider the extra threads. I think 3/16" is fine but that one set of threads was not up to the task. You always have the option to go to 1/4" later if needed.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Re: Legacy canopy alignment pin, D01

Postby XenosN42 » Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:07 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:For those who have not completed your canopy yet, consider the extra threads. I think 3/16" is fine but that one set of threads was not up to the task. You always have the option to go to 1/4" later if needed.

I built a XENOS and also ran into the problem with the locating pin getting loose. So, on my next build, my OneX I made a slight improvement. I used some extra round aluminum (~ 4 inches long) that had an outside diameter almost exactly the same as the inside cross section of the rectangular tubing. Not sure what the size was but one of the round tubes needed elsewhere in the build fit just right. Look around your shop I bet you'll find one. I then used a stick to shove the round tube into the square tube, covering the area the pin will go. Now the tap goes through the two layers of aluminum not one. Seven years and it hasn't loosened one bit.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:03 pm

XenosN42 wrote:I built a XENOS and also ran into the problem with the locating pin getting loose. So, on my next build, my OneX I made a slight improvement. I used some extra round aluminum (~ 4 inches long) that had an outside diameter almost exactly the same as the inside cross section of the rectangular tubing. Not sure what the size was but one of the round tubes needed elsewhere in the build fit just right. Look around your shop I bet you'll find one. I then used a stick to shove the round tube into the square tube, covering the area the pin will go. Now the tap goes through the two layers of aluminum not one. Seven years and it hasn't loosened one bit.

Sounds like a good solution Michael! More feasible for a new build, unless you want to remove all the rivets from the canopy - which I did not!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Murray Parr » Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:43 pm

IMG_5420.jpg
IMG_5420.jpg (73.57 KiB) Viewed 7598 times
IMG_5418.jpg
IMG_5418.jpg (116.17 KiB) Viewed 7598 times
IMG_5419.jpg
IMG_5419.jpg (73.09 KiB) Viewed 7598 times
This is how I did mine, will never strip out.

The latch is a copy of John Monnette's design he shared here a while ago. Very happy with that mod too.
Murray Parr
WXB0015
Rotax 912ULS
MGL Explorer Lite
First flight May 6/23
RV9 builder (Sold)
Murray Parr

Return to Technical Write-Ups and FAQs