Grip Lock Zip Ties

Questions, recommendations, and all things tool related

Grip Lock Zip Ties

Postby 984dm » Tue May 25, 2021 3:23 pm

Hello fellow Sonex builders,

Just passing along some information about a company and its products that may interest you. Grip Lock Ties makes 5", 8", and 12" zip locks that are rubber-padded and releasable, and come in different colors. They appear to be high quality, and I am planning to use these for securing wire bundles, etc. in my Sonex project. You can find them at griplockties.com

Disclaimer: I have no financial or any other personal connection with this company.

/Users/davidmisner/Desktop/IMG_3542.jpg
/Users/davidmisner/Desktop/IMG_8055.jpg

Have a good one,
Dave M.
Dave M.
Bloomer, WI
Legacy Sonex N984DM (N number reserved, project is a work in progress)
Tri gear with center stick
Revmaster 2300
MGL XTreme EFIS/EMS, MGL V6, Sandia STX 165
984dm

Re: Grip Lock Zip Ties

Postby Fastcapy » Tue May 25, 2021 3:29 pm

They are an amazing product! Worth every penny.

I haven't used the 5" yet because they are fairly new and the owner hasn't given me any of those to try yet, but I'm sure they are as good as the bigger sizes.

Disclaimer: I am friends with the inventor and owner of Zip Lock Ties. But regardless they are an great product.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Grip Lock Zip Ties

Postby Gmoney » Wed May 26, 2021 10:04 am

I have been using them for almost two years now. AMAZING. I just got the 5inch ones delivered.
Griplockties.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gmoney

Postby Matt541 » Wed May 26, 2021 11:40 am

Mine have held up well over the past year. (Although not as much flying time with them as I had hoped.) I made this video back then on my initial impressions:

Bottom line, a great option where it makes sense to use a premium product (like our airplanes), but not the best choice for your every day zip tie needs.

Also, there was a shipping delay and the owner made up for it with a free pack of ties. Good service!

Side note, I noticed that if you leave one too loose in a high heat environment (like the hood of my riding mower) the colored rubber strips can actually separate from the tie. Keep 'em snug and I doubt you'll see the same problem.
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Postby Fastcapy » Wed May 26, 2021 2:08 pm

Side note, I noticed that if you leave one too loose in a high heat environment (like the hood of my riding mower) the colored rubber strips can actually separate from the tie. Keep 'em snug and I doubt you'll see the same problem.

I want to say I remember the owner telling me they fixed that issue.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby Matt541 » Wed May 26, 2021 2:37 pm

Interesting, that may well be the case now. It's possible I have both versions, as I noted in the video the 8" ties appeared to have the rubber strips molded in so I was surprised to see that separation on the 12 inchers afterwards. I never looked into it further, but that would make sense. Thanks for pointing that out.
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Postby Skippydiesel » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:46 am

In my training, in the use of Zip Lock and similar tie systems, it is recommended to use two ties per application (making an 8), to secure pipework & electrical "bundles".

An alternative method is to use a short (length depending on job/application) piece of rubber hose as a "stand off" with one long tie going around component , through the pipe (making a waste) and then around the securing point.

Both systems work very well - I use one or the other according to the requirements of the situation being presented.

This is to minimise potential for crushing & chaffing of the tied component, against the supporting frame/object.

For hydraulic brake lines/gear leg - I use reusable Velcro wrap, to hold line against trailing edge of undercarriage. Take one length of Velcro (experience will allow you to cut just enough) - wrap a small amount around the line (acts as chaffing protection), then continue with one wrap around the leg, back to line with a small overlap. Neat, broad wrap. I usually have 3-4 /leg
Skippydiesel

Return to Tools