Travel Tool Kit

Questions, recommendations, and all things tool related

Travel Tool Kit

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:35 pm

Hello All,

One of the many projects I've been thinking about has been putting together a small travel tool kit for my Waiex. As time goes on, I would like to spend more time traveling places and feel a small tool kit is probably a really good idea to toss in the back. Over the last few trips (Oshkosh, Crossville, etc.) I've been taking a small tackle box and filling it with a few tools and accessories, but I want something a little more organized. Of course, size and weight are very important and it would be nice to keep the thing at or under 10 lbs if at all possible. Between that, canopy cover, extra oil, and a tie down kit, wheel chocks, etc., there's a lot of weight to add into the plane!

I see that Sportys has a "Trip Saver Tool Kit" (www.sportys.com) for sale which is in the right direction, but I'm not 100% sold on the tools they've included. They have some things I don't think we need, and are missing some things we do.

My basic tool list at this point is something like this:

-small and medium assortment of screwdrivers
-assortment of sockets (probably keep everything 1/4", both SAE and metric)
-assortment of basic wrenches, including adjustable wrench
-assortment of small pliers, both regular and needle nose
-assortment of hex keys
-tape, electrical and maybe some duct tape
-collection of various AN hardware (screws, bolts, nuts, washers)
-a few spare engine parts (spark plugs, RTV)
-extra tie wraps
-spare tire tube?

So, my question is, has anyone else put together a small tool kit like this? Does anyone have any good ideas for tools or parts they've needed in the past? I know we can't carry everything we need, but it would be nice to be able to put together something useful while still keeping things pretty small and light.

Any thoughts or experience would be great! Plus, maybe we can get a list together for everyone's Christmas list!

Thanks guys,

Mike
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Re: Travel Tool Kit

Postby fastj22 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:31 pm

Being a former boy scout and past scoutmaster, be prepared is in my blood.
I fly in the mountains.
My emergency repair/survival kit includes the following…
    A multi-tool.
    spool of stainless wire.
    roll of duct tape.
    spare tire tube.
    One quart of oil.
    hand held VHF radio.
    tire pump (manual bicycle).
    fire starter (lighter).
    first aid kit (backpacking style from REI).
    whistle.
    mirror.
    water purifier (I have a UV style).
    space blanket.
    Assorted energy bars.
All this fits in a small bag I throw in the luggage compartment.

If I need hardware, I will source it where I land. If there is no source, its doubtful I will need it.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:46 pm

I don't blame you a bit! If I flew where you do, I would have the same thing! I did some flight training out of Toledo, WA a long time ago...beautiful out there! Not a good place for an engine failure though. :shock:
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby daleandee » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:23 am

Last edited by daleandee on Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daleandee

Postby fastj22 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:46 am

In a mountain flying class I recently attended, the instructor said he always flies with all his survival gear in a fishing vest he wears. His point being you may not be able to reach your bag if you ditch.

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:29 pm

Thankfully, I live pretty close to a Harbor Freight and even though the tools they have aren't always the best, I think for this application I may give them a shot.

It looks like they have a decent selection of tool bags available, including an 5"x6"x11" one for around $6.00. (harborfreight.com, Voyager - Item#35539) I'm hoping to run over in the next few days...I'll let you know what I can find!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby fastj22 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:35 pm

Reviewing my emergency tooling needs. I will be adding a small adjustable wrench or vice grips to be able to remove the wheel bolts with the multi-tool. Not much need to carry an extra tube if you can't split the wheel in the field.

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:41 pm

That's a good point. I have the Sonex hydraulic brakes so I would need a hex key and socket to split the wheel case in half. I don't really know of any sort of mini hand pump to inflate a tire so not sure what to do about that one. Also, i've always wondered what people do to jack up the plane to change a tire.

Regardless, I bought a spare tire tube at Crossville this year for a few bucks, so if i have room for it, it will go into my tool kit.

Thanks!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby fastj22 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:43 pm

There are many techniques to MacGuiver a way to Jack up the wing to remove a wheel in the field. If at an airfield, just borrow a jack. But having a spare tube is necessary as it's not likely they will have one in stock. I recently had a flat and had a spare on hand. I immediately replaced it with another spare.

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby dcstrng » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:10 am

fastj22 wrote:Being a former boy scout ...
My emergency repair/survival kit includes the following…
[list]...If there is no source, its doubtful I will need it.

That's pretty much my philosophy... from my long-pavement bikin' days, I carry a small but fairly complete toolkit (including the ubiquitous duct-tape and small bicycle air-pump). Use a mil-surplus small tool bag (has several smaller pockets...). it is amazing how many good and fairly light combination tools there are out there and I always have my eyes open for them and items that will allow 1/4"/3/8" drive items to double as something else using extensions and adapters -- Vise-grip used to make a very handy one, but haven't seen it on the market for some years -- sort of a Leatherman on steroids with a built in clamping feature -- and Wilton used to make both SAE and Metric combo tools (called SocketStick... hasn't been made ins some years, but are nearly indestructible if you can find one, I still use mine for nearly everything...). Some are junk or course, but I try to carry a tool (often just miniatures of what is in the shop) for everything I know how to do (no flying machine-shops however... <grin>) and it comes out to about 5-7 pounds plus any extra fluids...
-- Larry
Sonex Plans #1621
dcstrng

Return to Tools