Pop Up Ads

For non Aviation related discussions.

Re: Pop Up Ads

Postby Jgibson » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:14 pm

Thanks Chris for the info.
I completely understand the challenges (both financial and logistical) of hosting and maintaining websites.
My initial inquiry was to ascertain whether or not others were experiencing the same issue, which for me is a first on the IPad format. This is one of the only sites I regularly visit after spending a career in I.T. Support, management and development in addition to working in various facilities repairing, modifying and working on all types of aircraft for 45 years while owning 13 different aircraft for personal use. I only mention those highlights because I feel those things are much more important than my name.
Now that we ALL know what's causing the pop ups, we can ALL choose to either continue participating or not. I personally will donate more (and more often) to help with your site because I consider it a valuable source of info for the Sonex aircraft.
But as usual, the keyboard commandos hijack a simple question and turn it into a personal battle.
Thanks again for the heads up.

Joe Gibson
Jgibson

Postby jrs » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:08 pm

Turns out my attempt to block the ads failed.
jrs

Postby Jgibson » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:53 pm

My attempts at blocking the ads also failed after diving deep into the Google prefs even though those modified settings MAY not actually take effect for a little time.
But I've personally decided that even though the ads are annoying, intrusive, and just a pia, I feel the benefits of the site outweigh those negatives.
And I utilized the 'donate' button to put my money where my mouth is. No offense meant to anyone at any time.
Jgibson

Postby Matt541 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:50 am

So another solution for blocking ads, trackers and pop ups is to use the Brave Browser. Brave was developed by the creator of Firefox, Brandon Eich. The blockers are all built in, and cookies are erased every time you close the browser. I have Brave installed on all of my devices, including ipads.

How well does it work? Well, I didn't even realize this site had banner ads and pop ups until you said so. I've been running it for a couple years, this a screenshot from my work computer:

braveblock.JPG
Yup, these are real numbers.

So then, how do site owners (like Chris) and content creators generate revenue? Well, that is also solved with Brave. The browser was created as part of an ecosystem to interact with the cryptocurrency Basic Attention Token (or BAT) through the Brave Rewards system. This is not automatic, you have to turn the feature on. The browser then tracks what sites your "attention" is given to (this info is not sold), and then makes a monthly contribution directly to the owner/ creator. No middle man, and your information is never sold to a third party. BATs can be earned through token grants, allowing Brave verified ads, or purchased directly.

sonexbrave.JPG
Not yet verified, or I'd be contributing this way.
sonexbrave.JPG (18.86 KiB) Viewed 3708 times

A website owner/ content creator just has to register with Brave to be eligible for Brave Rewards. It only takes a few minutes. (I have multiple sites verified and receive funds monthly.) BATs can be left as they are or sold for USD.

lsaver.JPG
Verified.
lsaver.JPG (16.61 KiB) Viewed 3708 times

This was the whole idea of the Brave ecosystem, create a different way for creators to earn revenue without having to rely on ads and selling data. I've been using it for a couple years, and the system works. Digital assets are still pretty new, but they are gaining in popularity.

To give Brave a try:

https://brave.com/lef976

(Fair warning, this is an affiliate link where I would earn a commission if you download and use Brave for 90 days.)
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Postby Matt541 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:55 am

Forgot to mention, there is also a "tipping" function like some other social media platforms use. A tip can be sent at any time on top of or instead of the monthly contribution.

sonextip.JPG
sonextip.JPG (24.75 KiB) Viewed 3704 times

"Attention" here is shown as 0% because the publisher is not verified. In reality, I spend a decent amount time on here like many of us.
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Previous

Return to Off Topic