Pop Up Ads

For non Aviation related discussions.

Pop Up Ads

Postby Jgibson » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:01 pm

Anybody else bothered by the pop up ads all of a sudden appearing any time I visit the site?
NEVER had a problem before viewing on my IPad but all of a sudden a full page pop up appears if I view one or more topics.
Deleting all of the cookies doesn't help.
I guess it's time to move on. Shame.
Jgibson

Re: Pop Up Ads

Postby Rick524 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:22 pm

Had the same problem a couple of years ago. You picked up some adware from somewhere.
I downloaded Hitman pro (free demo) and it cleaned the adware from my computer.

Rick
Sonex 524
C-GRIX
Rick524

Postby Sonex1517 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:43 pm

I have noticed the same thing, an occasional pop up ad.

It costs Chris money to run the site. If pop up ads help him pay it, I’m ok with that.

I’ve said it before - you do know you can donate to the cause, right? Look over on the right. There is a DONATE button.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby Rynoth » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:44 pm

I think Rick is correct, I don't get popup ads for this site on any device. Might be coming from an outside source, adware etc.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Jgibson » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:21 am

In response to Robbie: this has NOTHING to do with whether I 'know' there's a 'donate' button, or whether I 'know' it costs money to run the site, or whether I donate or not. The fact remains that I'm now receiving a full page pop up ONLY on this site on my IPad.
And even though you may find that acceptable, I DON'T.
IF it's a matter of cost to run the site, I'd be more than happy to up a donation to cover it. But it's NOT acceptable to generate revenue in this manner without a heads up.
Looking for information on others' experiences with the site isn't an invitation for a lecture on site costs.
Jgibson

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:54 am

Hi all, jgibson,
easy, robbie didnt mean any harm. ive been on this site since its inception. ive never gotten any pop up ads, usully look at this site everyday. i do get pop up ads on other sites, usually daily news sites. im not a computer geek like many of you have way more knowledge than me, but i do go to my settings now and then and dump cookies, and install the latest software, to block out the latest malware and trackers.
thanks robbie for the reminder to thank chris for this site and to kindly donate if you feel like it.

best to all,

WaiexN143NM
Michael
Last edited by WaiexN143NM on Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WaiexN143NM

Postby GordonTurner » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:56 pm

I don’t really know anything technical about these things, hate the pop ups too.

But, viewing on iPad and iPhone for years and never a pop up on this site.

Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby Sonex1517 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:09 pm

Jgibson wrote:In response to Robbie: this has NOTHING to do with whether I 'know' there's a 'donate' button, or whether I 'know' it costs money to run the site, or whether I donate or not. The fact remains that I'm now receiving a full page pop up ONLY on this site on my IPad.
And even though you may find that acceptable, I DON'T.
IF it's a matter of cost to run the site, I'd be more than happy to up a donation to cover it. But it's NOT acceptable to generate revenue in this manner without a heads up.
Looking for information on others' experiences with the site isn't an invitation for a lecture on site costs.

Wow....

So to stick to the point.

On my iPad I do see pop up ads. It seems new. Had never seen it before and it’s not spamware or adware. I do remove all the cookies daily. Still get an occasional pop up.

I do not get them on a Surface Pro or Windows 10 laptop.

Chris - any idea what’s going on?

(Oh look! I signed my NAME below!)
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby jrs » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:13 pm

I have been having same issue. I went into the browser settings (using chrome) and stumbled around until I found the ad settings. Turned off personalized ads and ppted out of all the companies there (131). I think that one of them was causing the issue. Still get ads in the margin but I think that the full page problem is gone.
jrs

Postby chris » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:47 pm

Hi all. I use Google AdSense to provide a little revenue to help pay site costs. I don't know for sure whether or not the ad you are seeing is Google AdSense related to this site or some other issue. However AdSense would be the only thing that could possibly result in a pop up and should be harmless.

I will say that personally I have only seen a few pop ups and I have looked at it daily for 9 years.

Usually there a little x that will close the ad.
Chris
Sonex 1409
Slowly Scratch Building
Site Owner/Admin
chris
Site Admin

Next

Return to Off Topic