billy's plans built sonex 1735

Use this area to create a thread with photos from your build.

Re: billy's plans built sonex 1735

Postby DCASonex » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:44 am

Billy, Glad to see you got it in the air. Does sound like you need some dual time, but do not give up now. When you get back in the cockpit, make first flights on calm days or with light winds right down the runway. Once you get the hang of it, Sonex are one of the easiest to fly and land, but it responds quicker than most others and things happen faster, when you are attuned to that it can be an advantage.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby Rofomoto » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:24 am

Thank you all for the encouragement. Another thing that led to the stress was the flap lever. I could hardly pull full flaps at 70mph. My flaps work like butter on the ground but I literally Needed two hands to pull in the air.
Longassproject
E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles (next year 16- 0)
Rofomoto

Postby Rick524 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:05 am

I know how you feel Billy, the Sonex can be a handful. It takes a while to get comfortable and
realize this pile of aluminum and rivets that you built in your basement actually flys! After 30 hrs in
mine, nothing is a given. Every take off and landing takes full attention. I had the same problem with
trying to pull full flaps, way too hard. I installed a linear actuator and now just push a button on the
stick. Stick with it and try to fly as much as you can to get consistency. Enjoy it, its worth it!

Rick
Sonex 524
Rick524

Postby WesRagle » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:34 pm

Hey Billy,

Come on, give us some more information. How'd the engine perform?? I've been waiting to hear about the stroker :-)

As long as the engine is working well you are not likely to hurt yourself. Just make sure it idles fine and provides power for a balk when needed.

Please keep us posted on your progress. There isn't enough chatter on the list about the actual mechanics of flying these airplanes. Those with a lot of hours don't see what all the fuss is about and those still building don't have much say.

I looked back at your photos and the pic I saw of the flap detent angle didn't seem to have the three flap positions most Sonex guys have. It also had a tit on the last setting. Just know that that tit will require that you torque the handle with your wrist to dump flaps on a go-around. Back in my Sonex days I never used full flaps. 2/3 was plenty.

I know what the first flight is like. You feel, smell, hear, and see everything. It's kinda like extreme sports without the exercise :-) All the adrenaline can cause over control.

I'll leave you with a few thoughts from a guy who's working his way back.

1) If the engine is fine the airplane won't quit flying. So, next time up just slow the airplane down and practice deploying and retracting the flaps. You may find that it's not as hard as it first seems. At first you will wiggle the plane when you pull but that will go away with practice.

2) Landing a tail wheel plane is simple in concept. Just line up with the runway, keep the longitudinal perfectly aligned with the center line, control your speed, don't flare too high, and hold the airplane off until you're in the three point attitude. Once you're on the ground pin the tail for tail wheel steering and keep it straight with your feet. Apply breaks as needed. With no wind, that's pretty much it. It just requires practice.

3) After a few flights you might want to fly down the runway in landing configuration, at maybe 75 or 80 mph, and practice sliding the airplane back and forth from the "right lane" to the "left lane" of the runway, cross controlling to maintain perfect longitudinal alignment. It's kinda fun.

4) Sonex airplanes are noisy. They shake, rattle and roll and the canopy whistles. That can be a little disconcerting at first. After a while you realize the airplane is just talking to you. When you finally grease that first landing you will still know for sure you're on the ground because that tail wheel is hooked up to a megaphone pointed directly at the cockpit screaming "I'm down". After a while you can hear if you're getting off speed on final by the sound of the wind noise.

5) Get an experienced/current tailwheel pilot to fly with you a few times. If they are an instructor their words will replay in your head every landing. Watch your speed. Don't dive at the runway. Hold it off, hold it off.... OK, pin the tail. Straight with your feet. Stay with it, stay with it!

6) Go to YouTube and watch videos. Jeff has published a bunch of videos and one specifically on pattern work. On one of them Jeff had a less than perfect landing. I think he called it a thumper :-) Mike has published a bunch too and has some less than perfect landings. Watch'em all. Come to think of it even my instructor had a less than perfect landing. Of course instead of balking or bouncing down the runway he instantly transitioned to a wheel landing. We'll maybe some day.

Don't get discouraged, all the fun you thought about, the pay dirt, is closer than you think.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Rofomoto » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:32 pm

Thanx Wes... today I feel better. Yesterday I was thinking barnstormers. I had the plane porpoising a lot trying for the 30 deg s. But in the air!!! Wow
Static rpm 2900
Climb out
100mph 15-1600 fpm
Cht’s 350 egt 1250
Level flight
2800 rpm 150 mph indicated
(3400) is max
Cht’s 320
No heavy wing detection
Oil pressure 35lbs
Oil temp 200
This thing has so much more power to go
Longassproject
Rofomoto

Postby DCASonex » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:50 am

Billy, I found same flap problem on my first flight. The flap lever twists as you pull hard on it, and that binds it into the notches of the notched bar. I revealed the backside of the notches so that the lever could twist a bit without binding. An alternate would be to put in a bit of opposite twist in the lever so that it tends to straighten when pulled. I changed to electric flaps soon after and probably still have that notched bar in my stock of scrapped aluminum bits.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby Rofomoto » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:26 am

Actuator ordered
Longassproject
Rofomoto

Postby WesRagle » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:55 pm

Hi Billy,

Rofomoto wrote:Thanx Wes... today I feel better. Yesterday I was thinking barnstormers. I had the plane porpoising a lot trying for the 30 deg s. But in the air!!! Wow

Yep, those are some impressive numbers! Your going to have a lot of fun with Max.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby dbdevkc » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:04 pm

Billy,

Holy Moly man 1,500 climb, 150 mph in cruise. Sounds nice. I remember you saying you wanted it to climb like a home sick angel. Well that's what you got.

2 things - think about adding in electric flaps. I found a discussion on here about that - even adding them after the plane was complete. That would take care of one issue. Then you could take some training flights in an RV - that would certainly get you prepped for flying yours.

Barnstormers is completely unthinkable. You WILL get used to it. You WILL get comfortable flying it. It may take a little time, but it will be well worth it. And based on the numbers you reported, once you get used to it and comfortable flying it -- you will have an absolute blast flying it.
[color=#800000]Kevin Conklin
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Postby Rofomoto » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:01 pm

Well one problem almost fixed. Got an actuator Thursday for my flaps, all installed except for the switch. Just need to decide if I should put it on the stick or panel. But... not right now... Go EAGLES!!
Longassproject
Rofomoto

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Album