3D computer model of Sonex 1560

Use this area to create a thread with photos from your build.

Re: 3D computer model of Sonex 1560

Postby steveald » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:30 pm

1. Buyer agrees that the purchase of one set of Sonex Aircraft, LLC plans carries with it the license to build one Sonex,
Waiex, Xenos, or Onex Aircraft (“Aircraft”) of the serial number given on the plans.
2. Buyer agrees that the purchase of the plans does not carry the right to duplicate and/or manufacture and sell materials,
kits, or components for the Aircraft.
3. Buyer agrees the plans cannot be used or duplicated without the expressed written consent of Sonex Aircraft, LLC.
4. Buyer agrees the purpose of the plans is strictly educational and there is no stated or implied guarantee.
5. Neither this Agreement nor any right or duty conferred hereunder shall be assigned, conveyed or transferred by Buyer
without the prior written consent of the Seller.

Some people photocopy parts of the plans, to use as templates to cut their parts, I digitized parts of the plans to use as templates for machines to cut my parts. My CAD files are for S/N 1560 exclusively, and not for distribution or use on any other project. I'm not a lawyer, but I believe I am not violating the agreement I made, and I am definetely not violating it's intention. If the agreement is good or bad for Sonex or for myself is a moot point, I agreed to it, and Sonex agreed to their part by sending me my copy of their plans. I will buy parts from Sonex when I feel the time savings justifies the price they want, and will build my own parts when I don't. I will call it a Sonex, unless they ask me not to, then I will call it something else, it will fly the same either way. It's all good. I am having a lot of fun building my plane, and creating the 3D model has been part of that fun.
Steve Aldridge
Sonex ST #1560
CYPK, BC Canada
steveald

Postby Rynoth » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:05 am

Steve, I say power to you and carry on. I guess after your first post, some general concerns were raised about digitizing and sharing plan details and the discussion went off from there, but to come full circle, I say what you are doing is very cool and legit. I'm still wishing I had a 3d model like you made and am considering learning some software to make something crude. Hope you can get back to work soon on the real deal!
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby steveald » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:47 am

Thanks Ryan,

I just received my spar caps, so I will be working on the spars. I have access to the shop where I work, so I have been doing some building there, but I need to free the space up during the week. I have the tailcone structure completed as well as the stabilizers and control surfaces, fuselage forward side panels etc... I think that when I get hangar space, things will go together fairly quickly, I just need to wait until March or April. I think that assembling the wing spars and finishing the ribs will keep me busy until then.
Steve Aldridge
Sonex ST #1560
CYPK, BC Canada
steveald

Previous

Return to Photo Album