Darick's Sonex #1646

Use this area to create a thread with photos from your build.

Re: Darick's Sonex #1646

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:00 am

Looks great Darrick! Have you confirmed the Sandia transponder depth works with the panel location?

I envy you guys with short leg syndrome who can afford to have the lower sub panel for switches!!!

Us guys with long legs can barely fit under the panel as designed. Love the gray color! Looks like mine (rustoleum metallic paint)
Scott Meyer
Sonex 1629 - Sold...9/2019
ScottM-Sonex1629

Postby samiam » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:19 pm

Darick, the panel looks great. When you told me about how you were using the instrument cluster theme, I don't think I realized how sleek it would end up looking. Your design work paid off, its aesthetics are great.
Mike L
Sonex #1345
Tail complete
Working on wings
samiam

Postby DCASonex » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:14 am

Darick,

A neat looking panel. A retro look with modern instruments.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby Darick » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:15 am

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys.

Scott, I did check the dimensions and observed the 1-5/16 clearance required to clear the instrument panel cross tie. I haven't received the transponder yet but according to the dimensional drawing it "should" fit.
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Postby Darick » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:54 pm

Wing rigging was successfully completed after nine hours. My wonderful wife stayed with me the entire time, bringing tools, food and drink, since I was under and inside the fuselage mostly, saving my aging knees from a lengthy recuperation.

I'll add more in the near future but for now, here are the main observations. I'm glad I read the procedure on the plans at least 10 times in the weeks preceding the event, totally understanding each step which I had practiced in a dry run repeatedly until I had memorized it. Donna refreshed my memory by reading each step as we progressed, allowing me to stay focused with tools in hand.

For leveling the fuselage, I used a smart level, i.e. digital readout, and kept a .1 degree or less tolerance (that's point one degree) and a water filled plastic tube as a check. For leveling the wings I used a water filled plastic tube which was taped to the wing tips and adjusted the wings until the water level was within one millimeter of each tip.

Moving on to the rear spar, everything went per plan. At one point I thought the left hole in the rear spar was not going to line up with rear spar attach assembly, but Donna just slightly yutzed (PA Dutch for jogged) the wing and it lined up perfectly. The matched holes machined by CNC is simply amazing!

And finally, the nemesis of all wing rigging, the dreaded SPAR ATTACH HOLES. To extend the 1/4" holes from the spar attach blocks to the attach angles, I used a 6" long drill, with lots of coolant/lubricant and withdrew the drill frequently to clear the chips. To enlarge the hole for the 3/8 pins I used a piloted double margin drill, again using coolant/lubricant and cleared the chips frequently. Frequently for me was any time I felt the drill begin to slow as the chips generated friction in the hole, generally every 1/16". So it was many, many times. The AN bolts need to be lightly tapped into place.

Once again I must say how amazing it is, that all these parts fit together with such precision. It really makes you feel confident this flying machine will give you hours of doubt free enjoyment. Kudos to the Sonex factory.
Last edited by Darick on Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Darick's Sonex #1646

Postby Sonex1517 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:34 pm

Excellent Darick! A huge milestone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:46 am

I was rooting for you Darick! We are neck and neck it would seem though you built your wings first and I built the fuselage first. Looking forward to the pictures!

Edit: looks like one pic was added to your post.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Sonex1243 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:27 pm

Great work Darick, that procedure is still one of my "fears" when the time comes for me. Looking forward to the rest of your post.
Ken S
SONEX #1243 N424SX (reserved)
Tail complete, wings done
Fuselage on gear
Jab 3300 received!
Sonex1243

Postby Darick » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:59 am

Here is an overview of the wing rigging day. Things to note...
Sawhorse under the front, about 2 feet height;
Green plastic water leveling tube taped to the wing tips;
Saw horses under the wings for leveling;

Forward bottom skin removed for installation for easy access and forward spar tunnel riveted in place; the flap detent and elevator trim assembly had to be partially disconnected from the forward left wing attach angle.

The aft tunnel web assembly had to be taken in and out numerous times, so to save time on this you can rivet the right hand aft wing attach angle and a few other associated parts together as shown here;

Here is the aft tunnel web assembly with parts already riveted together as in the picture above, partially in place. This saved time as well as keeping the parts handy.

Our Min Pin (miniature pincher) always on duty ready to help hand me tools and get a treat of course!

The HF 90 degree tool just fit into the space, used to "back drill" the 1/4" pilot hole through the spar attach blocks. This picture is staged, after the fact.

On the "Rear Spar Carry Through Assembly", there are three components which sandwich the rear spar on the wing. Some of these pieces WERE ALREADY DRILLED FROM THE FACTORY, with the 1/4" hole, and some were not. I had no choice but to line up these parts on my workbench and up drill all of them to 1/4". Logically then, I had to up drill the hole in the REAR SPAR from the 3/16" hole to 1/4", which I did BEFORE putting the wings on the fuselage. These parts were then fastened on the REAR SPAR CARRY THROUGH ASSEMBLY, ready to accept the wing.
Notice on the above picture, castle nuts are temporarily being used, which will be replaced with stop nuts.
You may also note there are only two rivets holding some of the other "sandwich" parts. I only did two rivets just in case I overlooked something and they had to be removed and I wanted the assembly to be more firmly attached than clecos would provide.

After the wing was fitted to the fuselage, the 1/4" hole in the REAR SPAR and REAR SPAR CARRY THROUGH ASSEMBLY lined up and pinned with a 1/4" bolt, the hole needed to be transferred to the ATTACH FITTINGS. This was done as instructed on the plans. Back drilling the 3/16" hole, as in step 15, was not required as all the components were already drilled up to 1/4". So I went directly to transferring the 1/4 hole to the ATTACH FITTINGS, as described in steps 14 through 18.

Be careful taking the wings in and out of the fuselage as there is not very much wiggle room. Just go slow, be patient and try to get help from someone who knows how to handle wings.

I can't think of any other important points at this time. Questions…feel free to send a private message.
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Postby Darick » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:20 pm

I've been working on the instrument panel a long time and maybe will finish this week. To all those who haven't done their panel yet, order three times more wire than your first estimate. At least that was my experience.

I can hardly wait to install it and hide all those wires.
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Album