95.1 Degrees….

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

95.1 Degrees….

Postby Ironflight » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:45 am

So there’s this bracket you need to make in the stabilizer skeleton to hold the aft root rib to the forward spar. You have to open up a 2”x2” angle from 90 degrees to 95.1 degrees. Aside from not knowing how to measure that 0.1 degree, the bending was made easier with a claw hammer and my big Chinese vise:

Careful measurement showed that I got it to 95.5 – but a quick rap with the hammer drove it back down to where it needed to be:

A quick pass on the belt sander took the little bit of curve out of the outside flats, and it matched the drawing – as close as I could tell.

Making all these brackets and clips is kind of fun!

Paul
Paul Dye
"Ironflight"
Building a Xenos!
Ironflight

Re: 95.1 Degrees….

Postby falvarez » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:18 am

Looks like this technique may give you more control than the one in the Sonex Hints video using a wrench. Let us know how it goes on a longer part like the fuselage angle where the wings attach. I had such a rough time getting a consistent angle on those fuselage angles that I just ended up buying it from Sonex pre-bent.
Frank Alvarez
Sonex #800, Aerovee 2.1
Scratch Building (working on Cowl)
falvarez

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:08 pm

When faced with a dimension or angle that is beyond my ability to measure, I use the force. It was good enough for Luke to blow up the Death Star.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:28 pm

Bryan,

I know that is not true! Well maybe you use the force but I'm certain you can measure to the tenth of a degree! You were showing us your engineering skills on the hockey sticks on your Waiex tail!

Interesting technique with the claw hammer!
Scott Meyer
Sonex 1629 - Sold...9/2019
ScottM-Sonex1629

Postby Rynoth » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:46 pm

Looks good. Might I suggest you slip a piece of scrap sheet aluminum between the jaw and your angle, helps keep the angle from getting scuffed up.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby racaldwell » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:28 pm

Hi Paul,

I am also building a Xenos that I started 12/13. Tail pieces and main wing spars done and working on the rear spars now. I used my hydraulic press mostly on opening up the angles. I have a 1" dia. rod the angle rests on and press down on the angle corner with wood under the ram. I pump a little then measure & repeat until I get there. I'll find out later if my lack of the .1 deg accuracy makes me fall out of the sky.

Rick Caldwell
Melbourne, FL
RV-6 1999
One Design 2002
Xenos #0057 11 mos. into it.
racaldwell

Postby dtwolcott » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:11 pm

To bend the fuselage angles for the spar box area I bought some vice jaw protectors at Home Depot. They had a horizontal notch formed in them to hold a pipe. I also purchased a foot long by 1 1/2 in. dia black pipe. I put the closed edge of the angle in one side of the jaws and the black pipe then fit inside the angle and the small V groove in the other jaw. Closed the vice until I got the angle I needed. I did need to slide the angle piece thru the vice and crank down again to get the full length of the angle spread as needed. This did seem to work pretty good. I am sure I got within a tenth or two of a degree of the required angle. HA HA
Don
Waiex 132
Don
Waiex 132 N132YX
3MY
dtwolcott

Return to Xenos