New Xenos Owner

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

New Xenos Owner

Postby rauburg » Sun May 27, 2018 1:15 pm

Just purchased Xenos X0024, N5234 from the original builder. Partner Robin and I have been working on closing on this Xenos since mid February and are glad to finally get it done.

The Xenos was built in 2007 by Max Bradford in Sulphur Springs, Texas. The test hours were flown off and it has basically been idle since. Build quality is outstanding and power is Jabiru 3300. Panel includes a Dynon D-180, with Becker radio and transponder.

Flew south around the DFW class B to avoid thunderstorms on Friday and spent the night at a friend's field near Decatur, Texas. Flew 5234 on to it's new home at Schleymer Field in Odessa, Texas yesterday.

We originally flew in Stephen Layton's VW Xenos in Hobbs, NM even though we both knew that the Xenos was for us. Robin and I are both glider and tailwheel pilots. I have 15 landings in a Xenos now and the transition hasn't been too bad. It is Robin's turn next.

We have a Bing carburetor and were a bit concerned about altitude performance. Had the glider to 8,500' msl yesterday and the engine ran trouble free. No problems with idle either, going from 500+/-' msl field elevation to 3,000.' I am totally thrilled with the Xenos. Handling is great and climb with the Xenos is outstanding.

rauburg

Re: New Xenos Owner

Postby peter anson » Mon May 28, 2018 4:49 am

Congratulations on your new toy. It should be good fun. Regarding flying at higher altitudes with the Bing carb, I often cruise at 8500' and occasionally at 9500' in my Sonex. It still has a good climb rate and runs smoothly at those altitudes. I can't tell you how high it will go because my upper legal limit is 10,000', but I would guess that if you need to go any higher you'll be soaring anyway.

Peter
peter anson

Postby bvolcko38 » Mon May 28, 2018 8:14 am

I am building Xenos068. Hope to fly it in June. What kind of performance are you seeing?

BV
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets
Aerovee and Prince P-Tip
MGL Discovery Lite w/ Sandia STX 165R
V6
First hole 4/1/16
First flight 8/24/18
Phase I complete...finally!!!
Also flying a Challenger II since 1999
bvolcko38

Postby lgsievila » Mon May 28, 2018 12:15 pm

On my way back from Oshkosh last year I had to go to 11,500 msl to get over the smoke and mountains in western Montana. My CAMit 2200 with a Bing ran just fine as I had it leaned out with the Hacman mixture control. Total trip was 3600 sm from sea level home airport over the mountains, hot temps in the prairies, and didn't miss a beat.
Loren Sievila
Conventional Gear Onex33
CAMit 2200
Dynon Skyview
lgsievila

Postby DCASonex » Mon May 28, 2018 1:31 pm

Another plug for a HACman, should be ideal for the Bing on a Zenos. Simple to add, no modification to the carb is required.

David A. Sonex TD, CAMit 3300
DCASonex

Postby rauburg » Mon May 28, 2018 3:08 pm

5234 is licensed experimental which has the best option those who are both power and glider pilots. No worry about glider rating or self launch endorsement although I have both.

It was around 100 degrees and I am sure that the density altitude was at least 10,000' when I climbed to 8,500.' No problems at all with the engine. We are still learning the plane and take what I say now may be subject to change. Our Xenos indicates 102-105 mph at 2,600 rpm. Climb rate is fantastic. ODO is 3,000' and I get to pattern altitude turning cross wind.

I am no expert by any means and here are my impressions. If you can fly a Blanik from the back seat the transition should be easy. Advice on pattern speeds on this board are spot on. I like to reduce power to 1,200 rpm abeam the numbers and to slow to 65 kts. I open 1 notch of dive brakes at some point on base, depending on the sight picture. Turning to final I slow 55 kts and use throttle for glide path control. Close the throttle when the runway is made, glide to where you level out, in a glider (5+/-') and land like a glider. Don't hold the plane off or try to get the nose up like in a conventional taildragger. As speed bleeds off, lift decreases, and the glider will lose the last few feet on it's own and touch down. One clarification - I learned this from a book about when we got Migs from other countries. When a pilot flew one for the first time he was told to watch the attitude on take off and that was the landing attitude. For the Xenos, taxi attitude is basically landing attitude, just a few feet higher. If you raise your nose to that attitude, and no more, over flaring will be avoided and the glider will naturally slow and settle with just a little help from you.

One caution. even though on the ground there is still a lot of energy (lift) to bleed off. Avoid jerking the controls or you will find yourself with a wing lifting or with the glider back in the air. Once on the ground open the spoilers and use braking as necessary, but get it slowed down. If doing touch and goes, don't mess around. Add power smoothly and the glider will be back in the air almost immediately.

We have some debugging to do with the radio and intercom and need to find someone to help with the Jabiru. It seems like a great engine and we want to treat it right and get the best performance that we can.
rauburg

Postby racaldwell » Tue May 29, 2018 10:26 am

Congratulations on the Xenos purchase. I am building #0057 and have a Camit 3300 engine for it. I will be using the stock Bing with a Hacman mixture control. Just bought the Sensenich Xenos/Jab prop for it last week. I am thinking of also painting it yellow, which is the same paint scheme as my RV-6. I don't need the fretting over deciding on a new scheme. But that time is way down the road so I may change my mind. I am curious how much does you Xenos weigh?

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
Building forward fuselage parts
Melbourne, FL
racaldwell

Postby rauburg » Tue May 29, 2018 11:20 am

Ours weighs 820# empty. I haven't paid attention to other planes and that seems to be a reasonable weight to me. Max painted 5234 with Airtex Cub Yellow. After all, what would you expect for a plane built in Sulphur Springs, home of the Legend Cub. I really like the color and others have commented on it as well. Good Luck with your project.

Randy
rauburg

Return to Xenos