Fuel Tank Fit

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

Re: Fuel Tank Fit

Postby Concorde » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:10 am

Quick question. Fuel tank straps that I received with my kit were all the same length , I thought the back straps were supposed to be longer .
Sorry, didn’t mean to change the subject !
Ben
Sonex # 1684
Tri-Gear, Dual Control
Rotax 912uls
N379BS reserved.
Concorde

Postby Area 51% » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:10 am

While trying to deal with the plastic tank fitment issues I had, Kerry approved warming the tank with a heat gun and reshaping. That might be a better solution than changing the profile of the firewall stiffener.

According to the plans, the tank straps are the same, but they show a longer bolt in the back to make up the difference.
Area 51%

Postby racaldwell » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:09 am

Fuel Tank Gap Sm.jpg
Small gap at stiffener

I installed the front strap and by tightening it very tight I was able to get about 1/32" gap between the tank and firewall stiffener.

But, since the tank is not symmetrical, the right side of the tank pushes up the glareshield and there is a gap on the left side of the crosstie.
Fuel Tank Cross Tie Sm.jpg
Crosstie gap

I installed the oops fittings but did a crappy job of it. I tried to get the mound of plastic off the inside using a dremel wheel & stone. On one I made a small groove where the o-ring would sit. But worse, the fitting on the side as right in the corner of the tank and the fitting would not fit. Working at it with a dremel stone I worked the plastic back inside the corner but in the process the 9/16" hole became 5/8". The o-ring was right on the edge of the hole. My fix was to make two aluminum sheets that fit inside the tank and use Fuel tank sealant from Van's Aircraft to seal between the plastic and aluminum sheets and also seal the holes around the oops fittings. This worked.
Fuel Tank Fittings Sm.jpg
Oops fittings sealed

Pressure tested and it held pressure over the weekend. I call it done. Enough with this fuel tank.
Fuel Tanl Pressure Test Sm.jpg
Pressure test

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Postby Rick524 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:19 am

Hi Rick, I remember having a strip of felt between the crosstie and tank. A full tank weighs just over 100 Lbs
so the tank will deform a little when full and rest flat on the felt. I wouldn't worry about one side being a bit
high when empty. I would try and get some space between the stiffener and tank though. Maybe the felt will help
there too.

Rick
C-GRIX
Rick524

Postby racaldwell » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:08 pm

That's a good idea, Rick. I'll double up a little patch of felt on the firewall stiffener. I have UHMW tape on the crosstie now but I think it is a good idea to put a layer of felt there, too.

Rick C.
racaldwell

Previous

Return to Xenos