iPad instrument panel

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

iPad instrument panel

Postby trwolf » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:38 pm

InstPnl.JPG
IMG_1086[1].JPG
It is tight, but the Guardian iPad Mini mount will actually fit in the standard Xenos panel! Opens up a world of flight software options. Had to grind some of the rivets and I am still deciding whether or not to lap the top of the panel above the glare shield or keep it under as in the plans. I will be adding an extended glare shield/shade above the instruments, so still in flux there. Any ideas?

I also hinged my panel with removable pins for easier access, I have already spent way too much time upside down under that critter.

Sorry for not paying much attention to this website. Been real busy building parts and just about finished my first wing. Maybe this week or not?

In answer to a couple of questions, cooling is provided via the nipple on the back of the docking station. Requires fan and tubing.

Someone asked about engine monitoring. I am kind of old school and am not a huge fan of integrating all the eggs in one basket. I will likely be installing a Grand Rapids EIS. They are pretty simple and strait forward in display. May have to mount in on top of the glare shield.

I may not be able to swing the panel as shown once instruments are all installed, but it is real easy to pull the hinge pins and pull the panel out far enough to service the back side. Will get back to that later on. The thing that keeps me going is that when I get bored with one task, I can switch to something else. except that now that I have started the wings I am stuck getting them done before the bad weather sets in and my rolling stock gets stuck outside.

NEWS FLASH!........I just checked after installing my ALT and I can open the panel with instruments installed. My radio and transponder control heads will definitely not impede the hinged panel swing either once they are in place (that is once I can afford them). The demo screen on the ipad is a page from Foreflight, which is still my planned go to software, but I am also looking at other options. Open to ideas.

Purchased a small 3" squirrel cage fan with a 5/8" output tube, on line for $10.
Last edited by trwolf on Fri May 08, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 7 times in total.
trwolf

Re: iPad instrument panel

Postby Rofomoto » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:25 am

Planing on the same mount. Looks good!
Longassproject
E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles (next year 16- 0)
Rofomoto

Postby flyguyeddy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:08 am

Trwolf can you post some more pictures of the backside of your setup? I am considering the exact same thing and curious how you pulled it off
flyguyeddy

Postby kmacht » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:16 pm

Whats your plan for an engine monitor? I still havent seen anyone come out with an ipad or android based engine monitor. It would be awesome if there was such a thing.

Keith
kmacht

Postby Rofomoto » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:18 pm

Longassproject
E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles (next year 16- 0)
Rofomoto

Postby fastj22 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:44 pm

This is really good news. I have an iPad mount in my panel and was only using for navigation. This might extend my MGL to provide full EFIS. Or replace it!

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby GraemeSmith » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:00 pm

A personal OPINION

iPad's are great. But I would never depend on one as my primary nav "box". ESPECIALLY if mounted on a panel. They are too prone to overheating when in the sun and giving that cute "thermometer" warning till they cool down.

Stuff designed for aviation tends to have well worked out power management and heat sinks built in and so doesn't tend to "overheat".

Like I say - an opinion.

YMMV
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:22 pm

If your iPad fails you can always whip out your phone. I used to fly with foreflight. I had it on both.

God forbid they both fail, there is always dead pilotage.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

iPad instrument panel

Postby caveman370 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:24 pm

Check out open flight solutions. Saw them at Oshkosh. Interesting concept. The overheating isn’t just with I pads. I’ve had my MGL enigma overheatd2 times on fuel stops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
caveman370

Postby WesRagle » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:32 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:If your iPad fails you can always whip out your phone. I used to fly with foreflight. I had it on both.

God forbid they both fail, there is always dead pilotage.

I think it's dead reckoning. Freudian slip, Bryan?

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Next

Return to Xenos