Xenos Wire Schematic

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

Xenos Wire Schematic

Postby racaldwell » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:09 pm

Here is a copy of my Xenos schematic. Your comments welcomed.

I removed diodes I originally had because I didn't want the voltage drop. The Lifepo batteries need at least 14.2v for charging.

Overvoltage protection is from Perihelion Designs and back up in case that failed is to pull the CB. Either drops out the contactor in the B+ lead of the alternator. The main & B lead contactors are Gigavac dual coil so they pull very low current after the initial closure.

The fatwire indicated is large but lightweight wire from Perihelion Design. It is about 7/16" dia. whereas #2 tefzel is about 3/8" dia. (inc. insulation). But the fatwire is really lightweight. I may use it instead of the #8 indicated from the main contactor to main fuse block.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
Attachments
Xenos Wire dia Rev 11.pdf
Xenos 0057 Schematic
(73.79 KiB) Downloaded 382 times
racaldwell

Re: Xenos Wire Schematic

Postby gammaxy » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:41 pm

If your main and aux batteries were at different levels of charge, is it possible you might exceed the 15A limit between the two as one attempts to charge the other one?
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby racaldwell » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:49 pm

Chris,

The 15A circuit protection is there.

The soaring battery is not going to be connected to the main bus unless the engine is running + alternator charging. So there will be >14V on the system. Both batteries will have less than that so both batteries will be charged.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Postby GordonTurner » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:14 pm

Hi Rick. What alt are you using? You don’t show a voltage regulator and i see s note about internal regulation.

Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby racaldwell » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:24 am

Hi Gordon,

I don't know what brand it is. It is a 40A automotive alternator with an internal regulator on my CAMit 3300. My engine is still crated in my den with a cat bed on it. It's going to stay in the plastic bag in the crate in the house until I can do no more work on the Xenos except hang engine.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Postby bvolcko38 » Sun May 03, 2020 11:12 am

Rick,
Is this your final schematic with backup battery?
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets
Aerovee and Prince P-Tip
MGL Discovery Lite w/ Sandia STX 165R
V6
First hole 4/1/16
First flight 8/24/18
Phase I complete...finally!!!
Also flying a Challenger II since 1999
bvolcko38

Postby GordonTurner » Sun May 03, 2020 4:11 pm

Looks like a good setup. Normally all on. Time to glide, avionics switch off, then shutdown and kill the master.

Time to motor. Master on, started up, then avionics switch back on. I think you are better to keep it manual control with switches than try to automate with diodes.
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby racaldwell » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:26 pm

Sorry for the delay, Bill. I just now saw your question. The answer is yes. The smaller battery is not a back up for the main battery. The small battery is for soaring with engine off. The main battery will not be on if the engine is off. That way the main battery will always have juice for starting. I could run the small battery down if I soared long enough but then I have have to start the engine on the main battery and let the small battery recharge. BTW, I plan to use an Earthx 680 for the main and the K2 battery for the soaring battery. The K2 is marketed for sailplanes for that application.

I am getting close to start wiring. I am doing all the detail work on the fuselage that I can before I start wiring. I am just now starting the lower intersection fairings now that the wheelpants and main gear fairings are complete. I may even finish painting the fuselage before I start on the FWF.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Xenos Wire Schematic

Postby Carlos Trigo » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:51 am

Rick

Which K2 will you be using?

Carlos
Carlos Trigo

Postby racaldwell » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:09 pm

Carlos,

The one Wings & Wheels sells. They only carry that one model. I don't know the #. The specs are impressive when compared to Earthx, however, the K2 is not a starter battery like the Earthx.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Next

Return to Xenos