baggage area

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

baggage area

Postby bvolcko38 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:34 am

What have other builders/owners done to make the baggage area more usable? I'm referring to the rudder cables trisecting the area.
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets
Aerovee and Prince P-Tip
MGL Discovery Lite w/ Sandia STX 165R
V6
First hole 4/1/16
First flight 8/24/18
Phase I complete...finally!!!
Also flying a Challenger II since 1999
bvolcko38

Re: baggage area

Postby trwolf » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:42 pm

Finished Phase 1 at end of last season. Still have not ben able to make consistently smooth landings, but flying is still fun. Regarding the baggage area, with two on board, I am real close to MTOW, so baggage was not a priority. I build an AL box and attached it to the crossmember behind the seat. The box could be any size, but I Made mine about 12" deep, 20" wide, and 4" fore to aft.

I keep probe covers, fuel sample jar, headsets, cleaning rag and misc. Works for me.
trwolf

Postby BRS » Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:25 pm

trwolf wrote:... I buil[t] an AL box and attached it to the crossmember behind the seat. The box could be any size, but I Made mine about 12" deep, 20" wide, and 4" fore to aft.

I keep probe covers, fuel sample jar, headsets, cleaning rag and misc. Works for me.

I like your box idea, might have to put that on the TO-DO list. Though I plan to take up some of that space with a smoke-oil tank.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby GraemeSmith » Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:48 am

Cargo net sling. Edges held with two powerful lengths of shock cord across the back of the top seat beam. So there is an opening I can put stuff in. The bottom has a small tab to keep the bottom forward so it tends to stay under the angle of the seatback and so keeps the CG forward.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby daleandee » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:23 am

My baggage area is a bit different as I used some 90º pieces for the top frame of my cargo carrier to hold it between the crosstie box, the rear crossover, & some shelves on each side that square in the cargo area.

The actual cargo carrier is a square box shape made of rip-stop nylon that is glued to the top frame mentioned above. In the bottom of that is a carpeted piece of aluminum that strengthens the bottom and helps it hold its shape. It works well and it folds up easily for removal when I need to get in that area for inspection and service.

Dunno if this helps ...
daleandee

Return to Xenos