Fuel line fitting

Discussion for Waiex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Re: Fuel line fitting

Postby Skippydiesel » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:15 pm

In this conversation there seems to be a failure to understand the difference between fuel pressure and flow (volume).

Carburettor engines operate, for the most part, on fuel flow ie little pressure

We often use fuel pressure as a handy gauge of fuel system delivery efficiency/health, however you can have good pressure and poor/minimal flow.

In an aircraft fuel system it is generally easier (cheaper/simpler) to measure pressure than flow, although fairy recent innovations have made this observation less applicable than the past.

I am an advocate for transparent wall filters, so that the pilot can have some hope of visually assessing filter blockage.
Note: a blocked filter may have minimal impact on fuel pressure but restrict flow to the point of reduced engine power or failure.
Skippydiesel

Re: Fuel line fitting

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:42 pm

builderflyer wrote:But, I can't say, though, that I've found a direct connection between measured fuel flow rates and the ability of the fuel system to produce "burps", or not.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261

Art,
I really believe the burps are all about heat. I'm on a quest to get rid of the burps and the excessive heat buildup in summer. I definitely agree with you about experimenting. That is part of the fun and to make your airplane a little better is very satisfying.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Previous

Return to Waiex Plans