WXB-0038 part W08-10

Discussion for Waiex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

WXB-0038 part W08-10

Postby wingnut99 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:35 pm

Can someone tell me what the drill guide looks like or refer me to a picture of it? Apparently I got one since I checked it off on the inventory sheet but I don't know what I'm looking for.
wingnut99

Re: WXB-0038 part W08-10

Postby thomas » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:44 pm

See photo. It's the steel drill guide that comes with the B model for pilot drilling the spars for the 1/2" wing bolts.

A word of caution as I've already used mine. My drill guide was delivered with a .502" outside diameter, which is reasonably sized for someone drilling the wings with a standard 1/2" drill bit. However, my 1/2" wing bolts are really .498" in diameter. This means there would have been 4 thousands slop between the wing bolts and the spar holes. This may be acceptable for some builders but I wanted a snugger fit.

I used a reamer to get a precise .500" hole so I also had to turn down the drill guide to .500" diameter to fit in the holes I reamed. That's still more slop than I would like with my .498" wing bolts so I may replace the bolts with precision bolts or pins.

Paul
Attachments
drill jig.jpg
thomas

Re: WXB-0038 part W08-10

Postby wingnut99 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:12 pm

Thanks for responding. I saw that part in my collection today but I didn't take it out of the zip lock bag so if it had a label on it I didn't see it. My mentor, Bob Mika a early scratch builder isn't always familiar with some of the kit stuff an of course his isn't a B model or a Waiex but he's very helpful in how to approach things and the plans aren't quite as confusing for him. I'm very thankful I have this forum and people willing to advise when needed. Thanks again 2
wingnut99

Return to Waiex Plans