Throttle and Brake

Discussion for Waiex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Throttle and Brake

Postby wingnut99 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:36 pm

With the center stick in the B model Waiex it doesn't seem like locating a center throttle or brake would be possible and pretty awkward to try multi-tasking everything with your right hand. It seems like both need to go on the left wall beside the pilot. Looks like the best option with the throttle handle about flush with the longeron and the brake directly below slightly above the seat but allowing sufficient clearance to not interfere with the throttle. Does that sound about right or does anyone have a better idea?
wingnut99

Re: Throttle and Brake

Postby pappas » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:06 pm

There is a reason that the best fighter aircraft in history have the stick in the right hand and the throttle in the left hand.

I have built a legacy Waiex with twin sticks and a B model with a center stick. The center stick is vastly better. Thinking about it, it doesn't seem like much interior room would be gained by the center stick version, but it is a vast difference in a cabin as small as ours. If operated correctly, you should barely be using the brakes for anything but run-ups or avoiding chewing up the tail of the slow guy in front of you on the taxiway.

I can't even think of one reason to have the RH throttle in my airplane. I put it in, but I've never touched it in flight! Of course, I really prefer to fly this by myself. It has a TON of room if you don't let anyone else in it!

At least for me, the controls fall much more naturally to hand and the handling of the aircraft is much more intuitive than with twin sticks, or center throttle, or a yoke, or anything else for that matter. The last thing we should want to do with an aircraft that is as responsive as ours is to turn it into a dopey old Cessna trainer.

The layout in the plans really does work.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Postby mike.smith » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:06 pm

I've flow Sonexes with both center and left throttles, and I much prefer the left throttle. Here's where mine is located (legacy Sonex):
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 068&row=21
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby DCASonex » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:21 am

Have an A series, with center stick, Put in dual throttles, one each corner of panel so co-pilot can fly the plane. Linkage concept borrowed from Zenith CH601 (have some drawings and photos if interested) When combined with electric flap control switch and elevator trim lever right next to pilot's throttle, and toe operated brakes, left hand stays on throttle, and right hand on stick.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby wingnut99 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:00 pm

Thanks for all the help. I got my tailwheel endorsement in a Citabria with the throttle on the wall, of course it had toe brakes with the stick between the knees and Diamond 120's and 140's
but never a center stick. Hopefully it won't be much of an adjustment. Mostly I've flown Piper's and Cessna's in recent years with the yoke in the left hand and throttle in the right but I always liked the stick best. It should be fine and the best part is finally getting to fly the same plane and knowing where everything is. I'm flying a 172 with a Dynon Skyview which is likely what I'm going to go with but I've flown Avidyne, Garmin 1000 and lot's of combinations of instruments combined with EFIS. It'll just be nice to learn one and be comfortable with it every time I go flying.
wingnut99

Return to Waiex Plans