Static ports

Discussion for Waiex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Re: Static ports

Postby wingnut99 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:33 pm

Yeah I'll be keeping a sharp eye on the GPS. It might be detectable in a high speed taxi.
wingnut99

Postby lakespookie » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:51 pm

Best way to correlate the static reading is with a cone test.
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Postby BRS » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:20 pm

lakespookie wrote:Best way to correlate the static reading is with a cone test.

what is a cone test?
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:56 pm

I think he means a trailing static probe. That seems like overkill. We used to do something similar in flight test at Sikorsky for new aircraft designs. Why not just see how your static system works? Fly with somebody's Cessna and do altimeter checks. If your static system is off either try moving it or do like we did at Schweizer - tweak with fences in front of or behind the port.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby builderflyer » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:04 am

Now that we have GPS, using a trailing cone to determine static system error seems a bit outdated. My Sonex has the homebrew pitot-static system as shown on the plans. Initially the airspeed indicator read about 10% high at cruise speeds due to the static pressure being too low. The cure, through trial and error, was to add a collar of varying dimensions behind the static ports on the static tube until just the right combination was found. Subsequently, the airspeed indicator reads correctly (IAS / CAS) within 1 or 2 mph from 90 mph to 190 mph. Can't do much better than that but I'd still like to move the static ports to the sides of the fuselage and get rid of the ugly static tube beneath the wing especially since there is also a pitot tube and AOA tube there as well.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby lakespookie » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:22 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:I think he means a trailing static probe. That seems like overkill. We used to do something similar in flight test at Sikorsky for new aircraft designs. Why not just see how your static system works? Fly with somebody's Cessna and do altimeter checks. If your static system is off either try moving it or do like we did at Schweizer - tweak with fences in front of or behind the port.

You are right it would be a bit overkill but it is effective and pretty much spot on in most cases.
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Postby wingnut99 » Fri May 07, 2021 9:43 am

I wish some of the plans provided a little more exact information but as long as I have access to all you guys, I'll be fine. Besides, the worst that can happen is moving them or using the fence approach. If I move them I get to plug the holes with disco lights!
wingnut99

Previous

Return to Waiex Plans