Rear spar pins and flap attachment bolts

Discussion for Waiex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Rear spar pins and flap attachment bolts

Postby WaiexDavis » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:45 pm

Hello all,

I’m new to Sonex and just picked up a tri gear Waiex. I trailered the plane home. When I went to attach the wings, I realized that I do not have the rear spar pins and do not have the bolts to connect the flap pushrod(?) to the bar inside the wings. I also do not have the plans. I have been trying to get the information from Sonex but they tell me to look at my plans and order the bolts from aircraft spruce. The problem is, I have no clue what to order. Hope someone can shed some light for me.

Drew
WaiexDavis

Re: Rear spar pins and flap attachment bolts

Postby XenosN42 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:39 pm

WaiexDavis wrote:Hello all,

I’m new to Sonex and just picked up a tri gear Waiex. I trailered the plane home. When I went to attach the wings, I realized that I do not have the rear spar pins and do not have the bolts to connect the flap pushrod(?) to the bar inside the wings. I also do not have the plans. I have been trying to get the information from Sonex but they tell me to look at my plans and order the bolts from aircraft spruce. The problem is, I have no clue what to order. Hope someone can shed some light for me.

Drew

You do NEED to get the plans from the former owner/builder. You probably won't be able to sell the plane in the future without them. No one who has done any research would buy an experimental without the plans.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby GraemeSmith » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:07 pm

Ditto,

You NEED the plans. You will have no idea if the plane is built to plans or not without them. And it is almost impossible to support you (Sonex) or answer your questions (by members here) because you don't know if the owner built to plans or not. You need to compare your aircraft to the plans to have a better idea.

Never mind for future Condition Inspections where the AP will almost certainly want to look at the plans and what is in front of them and make a determination about airworthiness.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:17 pm

Hey Drew,
I'll look up those hardware callouts next time I'm at the hangar. IIRC, the rear spar pins are 1/4" bolts. I can't remember if the flap pushrod is 1/4 or 3/16". You should be able to tell by looking at it, and then you just have to measure for length.

For the flap bolt I am pretty sure you will need a drilled bolt, a castellated nut, and a cotter pin.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:55 pm

Rear spar:
AN4-10 bolt, 2 required
AN960-416 washer, 4 required
AN310-4 castle nut, 2 required
MS24665-208 cotter pin, two required

Flap attachment:
AN4-10 bolt, two required
Two washers, nuts, cotter pins as above

Note: install nut finger tight to allow pushrod to pivot. Grease bolt shank prior to installation.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby WaiexDavis » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:16 pm

Bryan,
Thank you! I appreciate you looking that up for me.

I am trying to get the original plans, if that fails, Sonex informed me they can do reprints.

Thank you all for your advise.
Drew
WaiexDavis

Return to Waiex Plans