Heads Up W-15 W-13

Discussion for Waiex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Heads Up W-15 W-13

Postby Area 51% » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:30 am

If you have yet to take delivery of your Legacy Waiex (Sonex too for that matter) wing kit, there are some pretty important holes you need to drill that are no longer in the kit parts. As it turns out, the introduction of the B model apparently prompted changes to the spar components.

There may be other changes, but right now I'm referring to the flap drive tube holes in the main and rear spar components that are shown on the prints. THEY AIN'T THERE ON THE KIT PARTS. Just guessing, but my money says the holes were eliminated in the kit parts as they were no longer needed on the B because of the electric flaps. Not sure what harm it would have done to the B to leave them in for the rest of us.

Any way, the Waiex print does not have the dimensions required to place these holes. The Sonex print does have the dimensions showing, but you would expect that on plans designed for scratch-building.

Tech support was quick to supply me with the Sonex page that has the dimensions. SNX-W10 will get you everything you need to know about the main spar. The aft spar is still a mystery. I forgot to ask.

Sharpening up my hole saw here @Area 51% .
Area 51%

Re: Heads Up W-15 W-13

Postby BobDz » Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:36 pm

I've had a couple of parts show up without the holes in them per plan. Mildly annoying.
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
(technically within walking distance of Sonex)
N624DZ (reserved)

Plans exist to eliminate confusion, not create it.
BobDz

Postby Area 51% » Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:01 pm

This might prove to be more than a little annoying if not caught before wing assembly. .
Area 51%

Postby BobDz » Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:48 pm

Area 51% wrote:This might prove to be more than a little annoying if not caught before wing assembly. .

Agreed!
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
(technically within walking distance of Sonex)
N624DZ (reserved)

Plans exist to eliminate confusion, not create it.
BobDz

Return to Waiex Plans