Hydraulic brakes mounting plate

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Hydraulic brakes mounting plate

Postby kevinh » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:53 pm

Hi ya'll,

So back while I was working on other things I drilled my wheel pants to the aluminum plate that the hydraulic brakes mount to (orienting per plans with the bottom side of the metal plate level wrt to the pants). I also mounted the plate to the brake and the single mounting hole included on the axle weldment.

At a different point I match drilled the gear to the legs and engine mount setting the toe in using the little tool from sonex and a long piece of angle.

Yay! Both of those things seem correct. However, now that I have everything up on gear with the fuse mostly done I can see that the wheel pant is no where near level wrt. the longeron. It is quite a bit too nose down. Is it possible that the prepunched hole in that metal plate is not in the correct location? I'm considering removing the pin rotating the brake/pant assembly and then drilling a new hole for that pin...

Thanks much!

Kevin
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Re: Hydraulic brakes mounting plate

Postby tonyr » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:01 pm

Hey Kevin

I don't have hydraulic brakes but I did end up with wheelpants that have a more nose down attitude..

I fretted about it for a long while but when I got that sh*t-eating Sonex grin from ear to ear.. I don't notice it at all
Sonex #813
First Flight... 4 Oct 14
298 hours having fun!
http://sonexaus.wikispaces.com/Tony+%28Richo%29+Richardson+Sonex+813
tonyr

Postby GordonTurner » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:06 pm

I think it was mentioned in an earlier post that the hydraulic brakes instructions give the hole layout for TRICYCLE gear....a minor oversight by the company.
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:01 pm

Hi kevin,
Some suggestions that worked for us. Take a look at those plates. Make sure correct top to bottom, front to back, left to right. U will need a bigger cut out thats shown on the plans, to slip the wheel pants on and off. We also glassed a few new layers inside to stiffen it up. We took off our axles and welded on tracy obrien mounting plates to attach the red calipers to. U will be able to pick up three holes with bolts , u will want to have the calipers slightly tipped up in front. This will help with brake bleeding. Also we used self bleeding check valves. Your auto parts store should have them. Makes bleeding the brakes very easy all hy yourself. . Some people have had the single tab break off. Pick up your tail level plane out and set wheel pants level. Most people got it correct. A very few ive seen not so much. Hope this helps.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby kevinh » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:46 pm

GordonTurner wrote:I think it was mentioned in an earlier post that the hydraulic brakes instructions give the hole layout for TRICYCLE gear....a minor oversight by the company.

Ah yes - this would probably explain it. Hopefully I can move the hole and still have enough edge distance, if not I can remake those plates...
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Postby mike.smith » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:31 pm

kevinh wrote: However, now that I have everything up on gear with the fuse mostly done I can see that the wheel pant is no where near level wrt. the longeron. It is quite a bit too nose down. Is it possible that the prepunched hole in that metal plate is not in the correct location? I'm considering removing the pin rotating the brake/pant assembly and then drilling a new hole for that pin...

When I installed mine 2 years ago I could not get any arrangement of the factory plates and holes to work. I ended up doing a lot of reworking to get everything where it should be for a tail dragger.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 164&row=18
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 165&row=17
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Return to Sonex Plans