SNX-F16-02 Forward Tunnel Zee matched hole

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

SNX-F16-02 Forward Tunnel Zee matched hole

Postby Sonex1517 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:10 pm

When I was rigging my wings on July 4th, I encountered an issue that I did not understand at the time. I now understand it, and if you have a matched hole kit, you need to also.

The forward zee tunnel, SNX-F16-02, has a pilot hole in it at approximately the location where the wing attachment block hole goes. Apparently at some point during my build, I transferred this hole to the forward wing attachment angles when I should not have. There is no matching hole in the forward attachment angles.

It was not until today that I was certain of this, but after hearing that another builder has done this, I am now certain I transferred the existing pilot hole in the zee to the forward angle. (As we do with all existing pilot holes in the kit)

The result can be seen in these two images that I shot after we transferred the 1/4" holes through the wing attachment blocks to the forward attachment angles.

I have since replaced the forward attachment angles and hope to finish rigging my wings after Oshkosh.

For anyone who faces this challenge, I urge you to contact Sonex technical support as soon as possible.

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
Tails and Wings complete - finishing fuselage.
N1517S reserved
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Return to Sonex Plans