Rudder pedal springs

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Re: Rudder pedal springs

Postby fastj22 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:09 pm

I installed as per plans. But I don't think they provide any value. Just to lazy to remove them.
I do have my new fancy rudder cables which will be installed tomorrow. Since I'm already upside down, maybe they might find their way into the corn field.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby DCASonex » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:48 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:Although the springs would give you an opportunity to tweak rudder trim without the tab- just shorten one.

Unfortunately not really the case. There is nothing holding the pedals in a center location other than two feet, so springs would have no trim effect if both feet off pedals, unlike a true trim tab.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby radfordc » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:21 pm

I can tell you that when my right spring broke the plane was definitely pulling hard to the left. Having one spring stronger than the other has exactly the same effect as putting more weight on one pedal than the other.
radfordc

Postby fastj22 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:02 pm

radfordc wrote:I can tell you that when my right spring broke the plane was definitely pulling hard to the left. Having one spring stronger than the other has exactly the same effect as putting more weight on one pedal than the other.

Asymmetrical rudder springs will act as a trim. One could easily add a trim system by having one spring being adjustable. In my plane, its not necessary.

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:42 pm

fastj22 wrote:Asymmetrical rudder springs will act as a trim. One could easily add a trim system by having one spring being adjustable. In my plane, its not necessary.

I'm still waiting on someone to make a super simple version of this for aileron trim. I think it would be simple but I can't quite figure out where to put the controller knob for the spring adjustment. My Waiex is really close to being right where I want it so I haven't put much emphasis on it, but someday...
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby fastj22 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:07 pm

MichaelFarley56 wrote:
fastj22 wrote:Asymmetrical rudder springs will act as a trim. One could easily add a trim system by having one spring being adjustable. In my plane, its not necessary.

I'm still waiting on someone to make a super simple version of this for aileron trim. I think it would be simple but I can't quite figure out where to put the controller knob for the spring adjustment. My Waiex is really close to being right where I want it so I haven't put much emphasis on it, but someday...

I have such a system. Two springs. One on a servo small winch controlled by a 12v motor that tightens and loosens the bias spring. All controlled by my high hat on my stick. Its great. real simple. I need to do a write up and post it.

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby GordonTurner » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:22 pm

Waiex 158. Looked at my uninstalled rudder cables today, all four going back for replacement. No ends showing at all.

Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby DCASonex » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:28 am

radfordc wrote:I can tell you that when my right spring broke the plane was definitely pulling hard to the left. Having one spring stronger than the other has exactly the same effect as putting more weight on one pedal than the other.

You are correct, was thinking of a different setup on different plane. sorry about that.

David A.
DCASonex

Previous

Return to Sonex Plans