SNX/WIX P08/09/10

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

SNX/WIX P08/09/10

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:02 pm

Here is how I did my engine alignment. First I got the fuselage upside down and level. Then I drew a centerline on my nose skin. I drew two parallel lines 4 13/16" from the centerline (Aerovee dimensions).
Then I got a couple angles, put a mark near the end, and another mark 22 13/16" from the first mark.
The angles are lined up with my lines in photo 1. The first mark on the angles line up with the corner, the second mark is where I hang the plumb bob.

Because I am paranoid I rechecked my centerline with a thread pulled tight. The ruler clamped to the angles verifies the 9 5/8" (2X 4 13/16") distance between the angles and holds them there.
I checked from the back too. The thread hit every center mark from nose to tail!
Finally I worked up the courage to drill.
For the record, I had no shims on the left side, 0.130 on the right bottom, and 0.185 on the top right. Had to tip the mount down slightly.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Return to Sonex Plans