Cowl install-is this right?

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Re: Cowl install-is this right?

Postby SonexN76ET » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:46 pm

Scott,

In addition to the gap between the windscreen and cowling you also need to be concerned about the fit you will have at the prop.

I stopped trimming about where you are right now. The bottom edges of the cowling are rather thick and you should be able to sand the bottom so you have a smooth transition from fuselage to cowling.

Finally, I had to keep telling myself that I can always trim a little more later but it is very hard to add a little back.

Once you get both sides trimmed and the hinges test fit you can make some more minor trimming.

Good luck!

Jake
SonexN76ET

Postby rizzz » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:59 am

I had a gap as well when everything else was trimmed, ended up having to add about 1/4" of fiberglass to the top edge again:
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 677&row=24
My cowl was just short to start with on the top I believe, eveything else worked out great thoough.
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:09 pm

Thanks for the tips and replies. I've got both sides fitting pretty well, expect for the top. The left half is fitting down with a bit of pressure. The right half will not. It looks almost exactly like Dana's in his original post. I've got a heater on this side now. With the two halves taped together across the centerline. Seems like the newer cowls are using a mold that had the wrong upper firewall radius?

Scott Meyer
Sonex 1629 - Sold...9/2019
ScottM-Sonex1629

Postby SonexN76ET » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:46 pm

On my cowling where the radius is that butts up against the windscreen the fiberglass was very thin. To get mine to line up better with the windscreen I think I may add a little extra material to make it a little thicker. In the meantime, I have a thick piece of silicone baffling material to raise it to the same level as the windscreen. So, I am not sure if thickening your cowling at the radius will help your fit or not.

Also, instead of tape, I clecoed squares of aluminum under the fiberglass at the seems to hold the two halves tightly together.

Good luck!

Jake
SonexN76ET

Postby SonexN76ET » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:05 pm

Also, after getting the left and right halves to fit, you can still consider taking some small amounts of material off the bottom and the lower sides thus sliding the top of the cowling back towards the windscreen. You just have to be careful to do it in equal increments on both sides and to make sure you don't get too big of a gap between the cowling and prop. Be careful as I have seen some people go a little overboard with this and it makes their cowling look stuby.
SonexN76ET

Previous

Return to Sonex Plans