Cowl install-is this right?

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Re: Cowl install-is this right?

Postby Gripdana » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:43 pm

The bottom of mine was nearly 1" . But I did the sides a little at a time.
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Postby rizzz » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:18 pm

Looks like a much better fit now Dana, well done.

I think everyone of us who've gotten past the cowling installation must have had the same hesitation to keep cutting away material from the side & bottom, it just does not feel right.
I remember I was scared as well of cutting too much away and being left short. The cowl just did not look like it was made correctly. People also kept telling me "just keep trimming and everything will fall into place", and sure enough it did!

This is really one of those things where you have to blindly follow the instructions, no matter how counter intuitive they might seem to us mere mortals.
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby eppre » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:46 pm

The bottom of mine aligns well and the side also it is the top that is high.

I have not cut any off the bottom.

It seems to me that you guys are saying to cut a little off the side and bottom and the top will come into place.

Is that correct?
eppre

Postby Gripdana » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:02 pm

I cut the bottom last. I just trimmed the side a little at a time. Do you have the Sonex instruction sheet? I followed the instructions step by step. Also check for interference at the landing gear if yours is a TD. Do you have any photos you can post? Here is the link to the instruction sheet incase you don't have it. http://www.sonexaircraft.com/documents/ ... lation.pdf
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
Gripdana

Postby Gripdana » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:38 pm

I got the hinges installed. Still needs some glass and filling. I ended up getting everything to fit considering the difficulty of this area. I did have to make a cut on the left side all the way through and remove some material along the relief cut at the firewall to get the left top to lay correctly. I know that I might have been able to get this to work by more trimming but I just wanted to get the thing fitted. That was the best solution in my opinion for my cowl. Once the glass and filling is done I think it will look pretty good. There are more photos on Flicker at https://www.flickr.com/photos/90889513@N04/
And My builders log has more information at http://websites.expercraft.com/gripdana/?q=home
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
Gripdana

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:51 pm

Looks great Dana! I bet that's a relief to get this finished (at least with the fitting part).
Scott Meyer
Sonex 1629 - Sold...9/2019
ScottM-Sonex1629

Postby grevaly » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:21 pm

Hi Dana,
At this stage have you noticed any clearance issues with the top mounted oil cooler?
Are you going to install the lower cooling baffle for cooling of the oil pan?
Mark Conner
Sonex Std Gear Aerovee #1242
Mostly Plans Built
grevaly

Postby Gripdana » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:34 pm

No there are no issues with the oil cooler but it is very close. The bottom air filter has plenty of room also. I do not plan on doing anything on the bottom other than the air inlet. I did not see anything in photos of the Sonex Turbo. I am thinking of going turbo at some point next year.
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
Gripdana

Postby grevaly » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:41 pm

I guess I had read somewhere that some who had changed to the upper cooler maintained the lower baffle to aid in
cooling the bottom end.
Mark Conner
Sonex Std Gear Aerovee #1242
Mostly Plans Built
grevaly

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:30 pm

Good evening all:

I want to tag onto, and keep this topic/thread going for general cowling install. Its a tricky process to say the least, and in my opinion, a huge departure from the past countless hundreds of hours of aluminum contruction. I've got a small learning curve and head start, since previously I spent the first half of 2010 finishing a fiberglass body (including paint) for a Factory Five '65 Cobra replica.

http://photobucket.com/albums/nn218/STL-Scott/FFR%206583-Build-Frame

I'm into my right side cowl fitment, and am at the point where I have to ask the others who have already done this, should I keep trimming a little more from the side/bottom, or call it good enough? the side is fitting well, but at the bottom you can see a sharp curve where the cowling drops down some, then curves up towards the nose.

The issue I am still seeing, is that the top edge still has about an 1/8" gap to the windscreen. My initial thought is to trim/sand a little more from the side and bottom, which would help bring the top rear edge back towards the windscreen.

Is this the correct approach?

Thanks
Last edited by ScottM-Sonex1629 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Meyer
Sonex 1629 - Sold...9/2019
ScottM-Sonex1629

PreviousNext

Return to Sonex Plans