Stupid question.

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Stupid question.

Postby vwglenn » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:20 am

I just re-installed my wings over the weekend. When I picked the plane there were 5 bolts in the main spar. The two outer big bolts (pins in the removal instructions) and three through the center section in the spar box. I seem to have misplaced the three smaller bolts at some point so I went back to the plans to find out what size I'd need to buy. Problem is, I can't find them (the small bolts) anywhere in the plans. I found the call out for the bolts in the main and the rear spar but not the little ones in the main. Then I looked harder at the instructions from Sonex and they never mention the smaller bolts at all. Only the four pins for the main and rear spars. Now I'm questioning if they're supposed to be there at all. Sooooo...my stupid question is what size/type of bolt is supposed to go in there (if any) and what page do they show in the plans?
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Re: Stupid question.

Postby Rynoth » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:56 am

Those 3 middle holes are just for alignment... the plans say to drill them to 1/4" during the initial spar mating, so you typically use some spare AN4 bolts (or other 1/4" material) during the rigging process to "pin" the wings together. Once the rigging is complete, those holes are no longer used (no bolts go in those holes in the completed aircraft.)

That said, I don't suppose you'd be hurting anything by installing some bolts in those holes (though you'd need to enlarge the sight holes in the spar tunnel to fit bolts/nuts through), but the main spar is designed to be secured with just the 2 main AN6 wing bolts.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby vwglenn » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:19 am

Thanks Ryan. That's what I figured when I couldn't find them listed in the plans anywhere. They were installed when I pulled the wings off to load it on the trailer. If they're not required, I can think of a ton of reasons why they shouldn't be there. First and foremost, I didn't design the plane and I defer to the guys at Sonex.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby sonex892 » Sat May 02, 2015 7:50 pm

Glen
I'd check for any play in the wing attach fittings. Give your wings a good shake from the tips when you get them back on.

Those bolts may have been installed to remedy a bit of slop? Hopefully they were just put in there for no reason.

Steve 892
sonex892

Return to Sonex Plans