SNX-W08 spar mating

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Re: SNX-W08 spar mating

Postby Sonex1243 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:03 pm

This weekend I finally completed the spar mating and it went very well. Since I was still uneasy about drilling the attach blocks and screwing them up after numerous attempts to get a drill press on the floor and leveled, I removed the left and right spar inboard attach angles (only three screws) and placed them in the drill press and pre-drilled down about 3/4's of the blocks with the piloted 1/4" bit. Remounted them and re-mated the spars. Drilled / lightly reamed (.2490) the three alignment holes first and bolted them in place one at a time which resulted in a real nice fit. Now for the money shot on the attach blocks that were pre-drilled to 1/4", the blocks were a perfect guide through the spar and into the lower block. I had to switch to the 6" cobalt bit as the piloted dewalt bit was too short.

Thanks again to all the folks who replied to this post and to all the other builders out there with their well documented build logs to learn from.
Ken S
SONEX #1243 N424SX (reserved)
Tail complete, wings done
Fuselage on gear
Jab 3300 received!
Sonex1243

Previous

Return to Sonex Plans