Aileron push rod attachment at bellcrank

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Aileron push rod attachment at bellcrank

Postby Sonex1243 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:49 am

Fitting the short (SNX-C03-02) aileron push rod and trying to visualize the "rotation that is to occur between the bushing and plate on the push rod" per plans note. When assembled, I get a rotation of the bushing in the push rod end? Is this right?

Per SNX-W02 plans page, detail "F", I worked the flanged bearing length to get .015" clearance between the thrust bearing and push rod assembly when the bolt is tightened just enough to insert a cotter key. Also, "the push rod assembly should be free to rotate with respect to the bell crank without excessive freeplay". I must be missing something here?
Ken S
SONEX #1243 N424SX (reserved)
Tail complete, wings done
Fuselage on gear
Jab 3300 received!
Sonex1243

Re: Aileron push rod attachment at bellcrank

Postby peter anson » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:29 am

Yes, that's right. The rod turns on the bushing rather than the bushing turning on the bolt. It makes sense because the bushing and bolt together make a stronger part than if it pivoted on the bolt. The rest is just saying that the push-rod must be free to turn but not too sloppy and the bolt must be tight but not over-tightened.

Peter Anson
Sonex 894
221 hours
peter anson

Postby Sonex1243 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:40 pm

Thanks for the help pete;
I ended up re-working the flanged bushing some more and got the gap down to .008. Nice fit and everything is rotating right. It seems with the flanged bushing too long, it locked it to the drive plate with the bolt tightened and made the pressed in flanged bushing rotate in the steel rod end with everything else "locked" up.
Ken S
Fuselage on gear
Jab 3300 received!
Sonex1243

Postby Direct C51 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:46 am

I too am having a bit of trouble visualizing this. Should the flanged bushing be .005 - .015 longer than the thickness of the pushrod and thrust bearing, so that it makes contact with the bellcrank, causing the thrust bearing to 'float' a bit? Or should the flanged bushing be .005 - .015 shorter, causing the thrust bearing to make contact with the bellcrank? So far, the way I have it the bolt is pivoting in the bellcrank, which cannot be correct. If the flanged bushing is supposed to rotate inside of the pushrod, I suspect the fitment is much to tight, as the flanged bushing took a bit of force to press in to the pushrod.

Thanks
Direct C51

Postby Sonex1243 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:08 pm

Direct C51 wrote:I too am having a bit of trouble visualizing this. So far, the way I have it the bolt is pivoting in the bellcrank, which cannot be correct.

I worked the flanged bushing end shorter, giving me .005 - .015 between the thrust bearing, bellcrank and bushed rod end with the bolt tightened just enough to get the cotter pin in. I ultimately ended up with .008. The tightened bolt / nut assembly can be rotated with slight force only, but, the actual rotation now occurs between the bellcrank, thrust bearing and bolt in flanged bushing. No rotation of the actual bushing itself in the rod end.
Ken S
Fuselage on gear
Jab 3300 received!
Sonex1243

Postby Direct C51 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:32 pm

So Peter says the flanged bushing rotates within rod end and Ken says its the bolt that rotates inside the flanged bushing and bellcrank. Anyone want to be the tie breaker?
Direct C51

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:59 pm

I have not looked at this on the plans yet. I will say that every rod end on a Sikorsky helicopter has the ball rotating inside the rod end.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby sonex892. » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:37 pm

Direct C51 wrote:So Peter says the flanged bushing rotates within rod end and Ken says its the bolt that rotates inside the flanged bushing and bellcrank. Anyone want to be the tie breaker?

I am with Peter. Both the bolt and the bush should be considered fixed to the bellcrank and not rotate in relation to the bellcrank. See note on plans SNX W02 detail F. "Rotation to occur between bushing and plate on push rod".

The reason for the .005__.015 end play is the pushrod doesn't just go back and forth. It pivots up and down very slightly at the bush whilst travelling from aileron up to aileron down.

Steve
Sonex 892
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby Direct C51 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:01 pm

I am glad to hear that most agree with the way Peter has explained it. I too built mine so that the bushing, bolt, and bellcrank are fixed and rotate about the pushrod. My flanged bushing fit very tight inside the pushrod, so I used some sandpaper and took off the powdercoating on the bearing surface of the pushrod. Everything now rotates pretty freely. Does anyone see anything wrong with me sanding the inside of the pushrod hole so that the flanged bushing can be pushed in with moderate force by hand?
Direct C51

Postby wlarson861 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:19 am

Not as long as you lubricate the push-rod plate at annual to prevent corrosion of the pushrod.
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Next

Return to Sonex Plans