Which hardware kit to buy

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Re: Which hardware kit to buy

Postby NWade » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:35 pm

FWIW, I've been pretty satisfied with the Hardware kit I bought from Wicks Aircraft back in 2011. I've only found it to be missing the following things:

• Heyco .75" snap bushings for the aft fuselage rudder cable holes
  • Heyco snap-plug for the tailwheel area
  • Incorrect size sheet metal screws for inspection hole covers

I'm sure I'll find one or two more by the time I'm done (though I've completed the wings and tail at this point). Wicks' website is not the easiest to use, so for missing parts I've usually gone and ordered replacements from Aircraft Spruce.

Additionally, I've found that Sonex did not supply some CCC-46 rivets that are specified on SNX-F25 (side aft fuselage assembly) for riveting the rudder stop plates and lower longerons to the fuselage skins. And in one or two places I think they specified a slightly incorrect bolt length. Often you can just add a washer or two (see AC43-13 or Ron Wanttaja's excellent book on Homebuilding), or substitute a slightly longer bolt; although this may mean running 1 short later in the process. Its a bit frustrating, but its all part of the build process!

Take care,

--Noel
NWade

Re: Which hardware kit to buy

Postby fastj22 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:54 pm

DCASonex wrote:That gives you the opportunity to pick up some spares for minor modification, or just to replace those that roll off under a cabinet never to be seen again. Never can have too many bolts, screws, washers and nuts.

David A.

We had a flymart at our airport a couple of months ago. Much to our surprise, a prototype shop who were developing an LSA in 2005 was selling their entire production shop. They had a really nice tall cabinet with every AN bolt you might need. Wanted $600 for it. Just couldn't justify it myself. Well, my buddy Carl came by later and bought it. I told him to put a coin slot on it and he'd make up his investment as we keep raiding it. Its stuffed with IOUs now.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Previous

Return to Sonex Plans