Wing attach blocks and main wing spars

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Wing attach blocks and main wing spars

Postby lstinthot » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:38 pm

I am thinking of a way to do the wing attach assemblies from SNX-W11-02 and SNX-W11-06 on to W8-01L/01R main spar webs. Looks like if you do not drill the holes in the blocks you can drill the angle pieces from the spar web holes, then drill the holes in the attach blocks. Does anyone see a flaw in this? I am scratch building so i do not like having holes in both pieces unless one piece was used to drill into the other. In this case it states to measure good. I try to do that all the time, however sometimes my drill is not as accurate as I would like it to be.

Right now I have holes in the main spar webs and hole in the attach block. I do not have holes in the attach angle. I was thinking of lining up the attach angle vertically on the web where I like it. Then drill holes into the attach angle. Take the attach angle off the web and center the attach block over the appropriate hole and cleco in place. Clamp attach block to attach angle and drill holes going 90 degree to the main spar holes with the hole set in the attach angle.

I could also repeat the process with the attach block on the end of the spar. Once the attach angle is drilled to the spar web, I would add the end attach angle, then add the attach block to that piece.
Attachments
20160420_194327_resized.jpg
20160420_194334_resized.jpg
Scratch building #1604
Tail dragger
Thinking Turbo Aerovee
lstinthot

Re: Wing attach blocks and main wing spars

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:34 pm

Check out my page 57:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=578&start=560

What you are proposing is basically what I did, except I had prebuilt spars and the machined angle component kit. I carefully updrilled my holes in the angle to match the spar. I trued the angle. I mounted the block. Then I transferred the wing pin hole from the angle to the block in the drill press. Actually I think Adam did. Worked good.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Return to Sonex Plans