Turtle deck help

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Turtle deck help

Postby lstinthot » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:25 pm

I made the splice piece SNX-F20-07 backwards. Meaning, the opening of the channel is to the right side. I do not think it will make a difference. Can anyone think of a reason this has to be the opposite direction? Looks like the fuselage formers are measured and are equal distance from the center. I went ahead an pilot drilled to the right side skin. I lined up the curved edge of the spice piece with the edge of the right turtle deck skin vice lining up the outside of the flange with the right side turtle deck skin per detail B on page SNX-F19.

Thanks,

Mike
Scratch building #1604
Tail dragger
Thinking Turbo Aerovee
lstinthot

Re: Turtle deck help

Postby lstinthot » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:44 pm

Here is a picture of what I am working on.
Attachments
Turtle-deck-splice.jpg
Right side turtle deck skin with splice channel.
Scratch building #1604
Tail dragger
Thinking Turbo Aerovee
lstinthot

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:30 pm

Mike,
I just spent some quality time in the tailcone of my Waiex working on the mixer. I believe the formers are not the same left to right, which allows one side to sneak inside the flange. Check for symmetry of your formers and I think you will have the answer.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby lstinthot » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:07 pm

Just a follow up to this. I ended up leaving the splice channel backwards. I remade the smaller clips on the ends. These are the only parts that were affected and I could use scrap to remake them.
Scratch building #1604
Tail dragger
Thinking Turbo Aerovee
lstinthot

Return to Sonex Plans