Aerovee baffle kit

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Aerovee baffle kit

Postby kevinh » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:51 pm

Hi ya'll,

I didn't find a good thread via my searching, so leaving this here for future searchers ;-). I did much of my baffle work today and the only tips I can leave are:

• I was sort of dreading this because I heard complaints about baffles being a PITA. However, at least so far (haven't fit cowl yet) - wow they are much nicer than the baffle kit Van's sent me for my lycoming. Fits pretty good. More instructions would be better and there are some minor errors. Probably for the same reason the Van's kit is rough, they just keep reusing the same old barely CAD design without updating it to the latest CAD prepunched hotness.
  • A number of the bent flanges say 90 deg in the plans but actually they are 20 to 90 degs depending on location. I'd recommend waiting to bend them after test fitting.
  • The section below the prop hub needs a cutout added for the fatter oil pump (if using the turbo engine)
  • The flange on the left side of the top-oil cooler mount should be bent 3/16" closer to the oil cooler than shown in the plans (at least for my engine)
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Return to Sonex Plans