Rudder Hinge location

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Rudder Hinge location

Postby Barry63 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:18 pm

Preparing to locate the rudder hinge and a bit unsure as to the dimensions on the plans. Plans state to shim up the hinge by .057”. After doing this the upper edge of the hinge is not flush with the upper edge
of the rudder skin. Is this correct or do I need to shim the hinge up higher in order to have both edges sit flush with each other?? Don’t want to mess this up as then the rudder will not be in the same plane as
the vertical stab.
Barry Leap
Mostly scratchbuild Sonex T/D
Jabiru 2200?
Barry63

Re: Rudder Hinge location

Postby sonex1566 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:54 am

Hi Barry,
The plans are right. With the curvature of the 'leading edge' of the control surface it makes the hinge line a little bit inset. If you're able to temporarily set the tail fin and rudder up on your bench you should be able to visualise as to why the extra 57 thou is added. Otherwise enforce the 3 ft rule......all spectators are to stand back a min of 3 ft so as to not spot the odd cock up!
Richard
Scratch build Sonex
Std gear, dual control
Jabiru 3300, Sensenich prop
19-8776
1st Flight 25th June 2019. 170 hrs so far.....
http://www.sonex1566.com
sonex1566

Postby Area 51% » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:22 pm

Speaking of the 3 foot rule.....go to Home Depot and buy an Empire model 403 aluminum yardstick. It's the correct thickness for spacing the hinge heights on all the control surfaces. No guessing required. Put the hinge on the measuring device, and drill with confidence.
Area 51%

Postby Barry63 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:49 pm

Thanks guys. After posting I was able to find a few pics on the site showing how the hinge sits in relation to the short skin overlap on which the hinge sits. I think it was one of Bryan Cotton's pics.

I have the aluminum 3 foot rule you mentioned and completely forgot I had it. Hinge was drilled tonight and up-drilled.
Barry Leap
Mostly scratchbuild Sonex T/D
Jabiru 2200?
Barry63

Return to Sonex Plans