Tail Hinge Rivets

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Tail Hinge Rivets

Postby EdW » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:26 am

I'm getting ready to install the piano hinge on my vertical stabilizer, but can't convince myself that the rivets called out for the rest of the structure are long enough for the three layers of metal...the hinge, the spar and the skin. Nowhere on the plans does it say these rivets should be longer than the normal -42. Am I missing something? Are these rivets long enough for this structure? I'd hate to inadvertently create a weak section in the tail.

Thanks, guys.
EdW

Re: Tail Hinge Rivets

Postby Stogie6 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:37 am

EdW wrote:I'm getting ready to install the piano hinge on my vertical stabilizer, but can't convince myself that the rivets called out for the rest of the structure are long enough for the three layers of metal...the hinge, the spar and the skin. Nowhere on the plans does it say these rivets should be longer than the normal -42. Am I missing something? Are these rivets long enough for this structure? I'd hate to inadvertently create a weak section in the tail.

Thanks, guys.

Ed,
Let me review what I did and will give you a call this morning. I also have these Home Built Help DVD’s I will let you borrow. They are a big help. Since it is rainy today, maybe I can bring these out and see your project. I will bring my build photos as well.
David F. Jones
Memphis (Mud Island), TN
Aerovee powered Onex
N153TD
Based at KAWM and in the midst of Phase 1
Stogie6

Postby Gordon » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:20 am

Tail Hinge Rivets.......?

Ed...........if the -42 seems too short then use the -44's. Having built a number of Van's RV's over the last 30 years......sometimes there is a misprint or a "wrong callout" in the plans. The rivet must have enough "meat" sticking out before you pull it. If that takes a -44 then so be it.......never mind what the plans say. The same goes for the length of bolts. If the bolt requires more than 3 washers than go to a shorter bolt. Or if the nut doesn't have at least a couple threads showing after it is torqued then go with a longer bolt.....never mind what the plans say. Otherwise when you have your DAR do the inspection he will make you change it as it is "non compliant".

Gordon........Onex......Hummel 2400
Gordon

Postby T41pilot » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:22 am

According to the Aircraftspruce website, the grip length for a CCP-42 rivet is from .062 to .125. That area turned out to be about .1 on my vert stab. You will be fine.
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
T41pilot

Postby EdW » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:15 am

Thanks, guys. I'll go ahead with the -42 and not worry.

David...I'll be tied up with giving Oral and Practical tests this weekend, otherwise I'd be tickled to see you. Still not much of a project to see, just the unfinished tail feathers. Thanks for the offer.

Ed
EdW

Postby Stogie6 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:39 am

EdW wrote:Thanks, guys. I'll go ahead with the -42 and not worry.

David...I'll be tied up with giving Oral and Practical tests this weekend, otherwise I'd be tickled to see you. Still not much of a project to see, just the unfinished tail feathers. Thanks for the offer.

Ed

Roger that.
David F. Jones
Memphis (Mud Island), TN
Aerovee powered Onex
N153TD
Based at KAWM and in the midst of Phase 1
Stogie6

Return to Onex