The inevitable fuel spill disaster

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: The inevitable fuel spill disaster

Postby DCASonex » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:15 am

Photos and drawings of my modifications to the A series Sonex fuel filler box can be found on the Sonex Foundation website, under fuel vent and fill box about 2/3rds of the way down here: https://sonexfoundation.com/the-amsler-files.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby BobDz » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:53 am

Thanks for that link David!
Excellent info!
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
(technically within walking distance of Sonex)
N624DZ (reserved)

Plans exist to eliminate confusion, not create it.
BobDz

Postby 13brv3 » Thu May 02, 2024 9:27 pm

Back from the dead. It only took 2 weeks and $1300 to correct a momentary lapse in attention... I considered some sort of box around the fill cap, but I don't want anything blocking my view permanently, so I put it back like it was. I'm working on an improved version of the fuel fill funnel to keep fumes and any overflow out of the cockpit.

Along the way I added a fuel return to the tank to hopefully cure some really odd intermittent low fuel pressure readings. Rotax "requires" a restricted fuel return to eliminate any vapor lock, and I do think that was the cause of some of my low pressure readings.

I also took the opportunity to install the Peter Anson canopy latch. It required some modification because I put rivets in the way of the block. I'd recommend getting one of these latches when you're originally building the canopy frame, because it's about 1000 times better than the stock arrangement on a Onex. That's his fuel cap too, BTW.

Naturally, the weather is forecast to be crappy for the next week. And because I can never say it enough, I HATE fitting canopies!
Attachments
ONX0085 0882.jpg
ONX0085 0881.jpg
ONX0085 0880.jpg
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Previous

Return to Onex