The inevitable fuel spill disaster

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: The inevitable fuel spill disaster

Postby DCASonex » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:15 am

Photos and drawings of my modifications to the A series Sonex fuel filler box can be found on the Sonex Foundation website, under fuel vent and fill box about 2/3rds of the way down here: https://sonexfoundation.com/the-amsler-files.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby BobDz » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:53 am

Thanks for that link David!
Excellent info!
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
(technically within walking distance of Sonex)
N624DZ (reserved)

Plans exist to eliminate confusion, not create it.
BobDz

Postby 13brv3 » Thu May 02, 2024 9:27 pm

Back from the dead. It only took 2 weeks and $1300 to correct a momentary lapse in attention... I considered some sort of box around the fill cap, but I don't want anything blocking my view permanently, so I put it back like it was. I'm working on an improved version of the fuel fill funnel to keep fumes and any overflow out of the cockpit.

Along the way I added a fuel return to the tank to hopefully cure some really odd intermittent low fuel pressure readings. Rotax "requires" a restricted fuel return to eliminate any vapor lock, and I do think that was the cause of some of my low pressure readings.

I also took the opportunity to install the Peter Anson canopy latch. It required some modification because I put rivets in the way of the block. I'd recommend getting one of these latches when you're originally building the canopy frame, because it's about 1000 times better than the stock arrangement on a Onex. That's his fuel cap too, BTW.

Naturally, the weather is forecast to be crappy for the next week. And because I can never say it enough, I HATE fitting canopies!
Attachments
ONX0085 0882.jpg
ONX0085 0881.jpg
ONX0085 0880.jpg
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby WesRagle » Wed May 08, 2024 4:34 am

Hi Guys,

Catching up on reading.

Onex107 wrote:A few years ago we did a fuel, windshield test. We took a piece of windshield and duncked it in fuel. No effect. Then bend the piece and put some stress on the surface and drip a few drops on the surface and you get cracks. I presume if our windshields were composed of flat plates we wouldn't have a problem. All the fuel is doing is relieving the stress of the bending.

And here is my experiment along the same lines.

https://sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=5813&hilit=stressed#p43915

The (partial) solution I am using. A 15 gal hand crank fuel transfer tank. I insert the spout and hold it in place while I crank with the other hand being careful not to over fill.

I agree that this is a horrible place for the fuel fill. I understand wanting to make the build easier, and to reduce parts count, but .....

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby sonex892. » Wed May 08, 2024 6:37 am

Fueling even the A model sonex is not ideal. I mostly use mogas and would sometimes spill fuel when pouring from the 20 litre container.

Here is how I now syphon fill. The larger tube extends to the bottom of the container. Blowing into small tube pressurises the container to start the syphon. Its not real quick but I have never spilt fuel when using it.

Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby Skippydiesel » Wed May 08, 2024 6:59 am

Random thought;

Why not have a section (larger than the usually small hatch) that hinges back towards the canopy, staying almost vertical. The hinge line could be made splash proof and the large "door" would protect the canopy from almost every possible fuel spill/splash/spatter scenario.

Down side would be the risk of opening in flight but I am sure some fail safe latching mechanism could be applied.

Note: My Sonex centre tank, is filled vie either wing tank, so no fuel close to canopy.
Skippydiesel

Postby 13brv3 » Wed May 08, 2024 9:55 am

I seriously considered making a metal box that enclosed the fuel cap, but in the end I just couldn't accept having something like that permanently blocking part of my forward view. The plans call for an aluminum cover for the fuel hole in the windscreen, but I like the clear polycarbonate cover for obvious reasons. I stole that idea from someone, maybe Wes?

I wish I knew how much fuel spilled, but I can't see how it was more than a few ounces. The problem is that the curved glareshield channels the water to the left and right, where it runs along the side toward the back of the windscreen on a taildragger. A little liquid made it all the way back to the rear of the windscreen on the left side, and at least a few drips ran off the rail. I never saw liquid fuel on the right side where the canopy hinge was, but some must have made it there, and wicked under the hinge. I don't think brief fuel exposure would hurt the Lexan or Acrylic in an area where there are no edges or drilled holes.

For the first year or so, I used these pumps- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010GNM7H4 They're a little slow, but they work well, and have an auto shutoff. I'd never trust that, but it was nice as a backup, and I did test it to make sure it worked. Later, I wanted something faster, and with a good filter, so I put together a fuel cart with a 12V pump, powered by a Dewalt 20V pack via 12V adapter. This works really well, but there's no auto shutoff. I did try an auto shutoff nozzle, but it just won't prime and pump fuel uphill to the tank. If you point it into the tank opening to get it started, then it will work, but that was (or seemed like) too much effort.

I'm closing in on a final fuel funnel solution, maybe finished later this week.
Attachments
ONX0085 0772.jpg
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby Jester504 » Wed May 08, 2024 11:57 am

For my -A I'm going to make a plastic sheet with a hold in the middle that is slightly smaller than my fuel cap. It'll cover everything around for 2-3 feet around and live in the cargo compartment. I might also permanently attach a funnel to that hole so there is literally nowhere for fuel to go except in the tank or on the ground.
Jester504

Previous

Return to Onex