A couple of questions

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: A couple of questions

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue May 14, 2019 10:17 am

hi david, all

it smells and looks like household white latex paint, but has some fire barrier mixed in. use some good dish soap(dove?) and a brush to scrub any oil or grease away and rinse with a garden hose and dry.
should be good to go. i think jeff schultz had posted this years ago we saw it on his build log. we painted it on the inside of our waiex cowl during the initial build. one qt is plenty. 2 coats.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby WesRagle » Tue May 14, 2019 4:23 pm

dirkverdonck wrote:I used angled grinders to cut the windshield, see pics. One equipped with a very fine cutting disk, the other with a flap disk to grind afterwards.

HI Dirk,

I have a good fiber reinforced cutting disk and a flapper for the dremel tool. Worked well, thanks. I clamped the bow to the windshield to get the final contour with the flapper.

WaiexN143NM wrote:hi wes,
we used the contego latex fire barrier avbl from aircraft spruce to coat the inside of the cowl. about $30 a quart. a foam brush and 30 min and it looks great.

WaiexN143NM
Michael

Hey Michael,

Have you had the contego on a flying airplane? Has it stood up to oil, heat, etc.?? Sounds like a good idea. I *want* the inside of the cowl white.

wlarson861 wrote:I just fitted a new cowl from Sonex for a legacy Sonex. I used West system epoxy to both add cloth and Micro balloon filler. It didn't seem to be an issue.

Kerry says the cowl is made of polyester resin so any product compatible with that will work. I can't imagine that West System wouldn't be OK. Just had to ask.

May seal with epoxy and topcoat with Contego.

Thanks.
Last edited by WesRagle on Sat May 18, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby WesRagle » Tue May 14, 2019 5:18 pm

wlarson861 wrote:I just fitted a new cowl from Sonex for a legacy Sonex. I used West system epoxy to both add cloth and Micro balloon filler. It didn't seem to be an issue.

Poked around and found this concerning compatibility of West Systems and polyester.

https://www.epoxyworks.com/index.php/west-system-epoxy-vs-polyester-for-fiberglass-boat-repair/
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue May 14, 2019 5:55 pm

Hi wes, all,
Yes contego on initial build flying since 2013. Holds up well , never touched it up yet. Its
white so yes some fuel drip (blue stain) or oil drip will somewhat cause a minor stain. Can be wiped with a wrag when cowl off. Could be retouched up. Anywhere near high heat some muffler wrap or foil tape would be good. Very happy with the contego.
Cheers

Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby GordonTurner » Tue May 14, 2019 6:34 pm

Oops Tool:

I sent it in to the next builder, I think it is back with DCASonex now.

The tool set worked great by the way.

Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby WesRagle » Tue May 14, 2019 7:33 pm

GordonTurner wrote:Oops Tool:

I sent it in to the next builder, I think it is back with DCASonex now.

The tool set worked great by the way.

Gordon

Thanks Gordon,

I have the tools in my possession.
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby WesRagle » Tue May 14, 2019 7:37 pm

WaiexN143NM wrote:Hi wes, all,
Yes contego on initial build flying since 2013. Holds up well , never touched it up yet. Its
white so yes some fuel drip (blue stain) or oil drip will somewhat cause a minor stain. Can be wiped with a wrag when cowl off. Could be retouched up. Anywhere near high heat some muffler wrap or foil tape would be good. Very happy with the contego.
Cheers

Michael

Thanks Michael,

I will seal with West System and top coat with contego. The pipes will be coated. Used JetHot years ago. I think there are lots of options locally now.
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby WesRagle » Sat May 25, 2019 5:57 pm

Hi Guys,

While waiting on parts/tools, etc. for the Oops fittings and canopy, I got distracted and decided to tackle what is arguably the most distasteful sub-project of building an airplane. The baffling baffle. Nothing ever seems to fit quite right and all fitting and patching is done in 3D. Very humbling. I've just about got it all fitted now it's time for baffle seal.

There are a lot of choices for baffle seal. The stuff that Sonex provides with their baffle kits looks just right for the front where what is needed is basically a "jam seal".

For the rear it looks like a toss up between neoprene impregnated woven stuff (like Van's ships with their kits) or thin (3/32) silicon. Either will probably work just fine.

The same will work for the sides, but I can't keep from thinking how nice it would be along a straight section to use an adhesive. You know, just glue it and trim it. It would buy me some space around the spark plugs where space is at a premium. Just thinking.

Question: Has anyone successfully used adhesive to attach any kind of baffle seal to aluminum. Did it last?

I'll be back to Oops fittings and canopy building soon. That should be an adventure :-)

Thanks for Your Time
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby dirkverdonck » Sun May 26, 2019 6:03 am

Hi Wes,
I went for the blue silicone baffle, attached with soft Alu rivets. Looks good and works well. see pic.
Attachments
Onex 117 Oil pressure.JPG
Dirk Verdonck
Leffinge, Belgium
Onex #117
Taildragger, Aerovee 2.1, MGL iEFIS, TRIG radio and Transponder, electric flaps, external elevator trim, shortened wingtips, hydraulic brakes, hightened seat pan, extra inspection panels, etc
dirkverdonck

Postby Area 51% » Sun May 26, 2019 5:42 pm

It must have been terribly hot the day you took that picture. The prop is really droopin'.
Area 51%

PreviousNext

Return to Onex