any fueling tricks and advice?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: any fueling tricks and advice?

Postby mccool » Thu May 23, 2024 8:51 pm

I had a bad spill on my Sonex, and was able to avoid the problem with a very generous soaking with water. Thank goodness there was a hose close by. No cracks or discoloration. This was my second windshield, thanks to a previous fuel spill that I didn't wash down immediately.
mccool

Postby Skippydiesel » Thu May 23, 2024 9:17 pm

I don't have your problem - wing tanks.

I have thought about this and I think that moving the fill point forward, into the top the engine bay, would prevent a lot of windscreen damage.

The forward location, could be complimented by having a large access flap, which opens back & to the vertical position preventing splash/spills from contaminating the polycarbonate windscreen.

The alternative would be to leave the fill point where it is and have a shorter (diffrent profile) windscreen - more of an elongated half dome/bubble shape - might need to be acrylic (Perspex) rather than polycarbonate. Acrylic is generally cheaper & more resistant to fuel damage (but not totally).
Skippydiesel

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu May 23, 2024 11:18 pm

mccool wrote:I had a bad spill on my Sonex, and was able to avoid the problem with a very generous soaking with water. Thank goodness there was a hose close by. No cracks or discoloration. This was my second windshield, thanks to a previous fuel spill that I didn't wash down immediately.

The line kid screwed up last weekend and dumped about 3/4 of a gallon. A quart for my shirt, a quart for hers, and a quart for the windshield. Didn't have a hose but I raced back to the hangar where I have a 5 gallon water container and lots of old towels. So far so good. It was horrifying.

I think the key thing is twofold:
1) get the fuel filler at the correct angle to match the fuel fill area. I'm speaking A model here.
1.5) Get the nozzle in far enough that if it blasts it will just go in the tank and not skyward.
2) Go slow!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Previous

Return to Onex