A couple of questions

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: A couple of questions

Postby Area 51% » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:52 am

You can get custom length cables made up at West Marine. High quality tinned wire along with plated ends.
Area 51%

Postby sonex1374 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:55 am

I have used this vendor on ebay in the past. They were fast, accurate to what I ordered, and seemed well made.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Gauge-AWG-Cu ... 0875283025

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby WesRagle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:53 pm

Rynoth wrote:Hi Wes. Not sure where to get pre-made-length cable. I made my own in the same fashion as every other electrical system wire, by buying cable and crimping the ends. I used Mil Spec 6AWG (from ACS) for the connections you mentioned as well as from a starter mounting bolt back to the negative battery terminal providing a short-length low-resistance path for the entire starter circuit. The process for cutting, stripping and crimping 6AWG is no different than the other dozens of wires you'll be running except maybe using a different tool. If I recall, I just used big tongue and groove pliers to crimp down on those big connectors (sourced at an auto parts store) and the result was good and secure.

Hi Ryan,

Yea, I've made them in the past but would rather someone with the proper crimping tool, etc. just build me the heavy cables.

AND ..., Congrats on the first flight of of your Waiex. Beautiful airplane! I've watched your time lapsed video several times and enjoyed reading your blog.

Area 51% wrote:You can get custom length cables made up at West Marine. High quality tinned wire along with plated ends.

Hi Area 51% (if that is your real name :-),

Interesting web site, but I didn't locate a section on custom made cables. Turns out boats and planes have a lot in common huh.

sonex1374 wrote:I have used this vendor on ebay in the past. They were fast, accurate to what I ordered, and seemed well made.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Perfect! Custom made, color coded, and less expensive than my cost of raw materials. Thanks.

Something else I need to research is a proper crimping tool and ring terminals. I have used a cheap "Radio Shack" crimping tool in the past. The kind with build in wire stripper in the handle end and color coded crimper in the tip end. I hate that tool. It's like just mashing the terminal and then trusting the results. I want a good crimping tool.

My perfect solution would be a ratchet style crimping tool that works with a specified series of ring terminals so I could really trust the results of the crimp. If anyone has a suggestion I'm all ears. Meanwhile Captain Google and I will be on the hunt.

Thanks Guys,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:56 pm

Hi wes, all ,
Look at B&C products newton ks. For electrical needs.
They have ratchet crimpers , strippers etc.
Kragen O’rielly auto sells ratchet crimpers also.

Cheers!

Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby Area 51% » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:27 pm

Sorry...I keep forgetting not everyone is as computer illiterate as I am. You have to actually go to West Marine and interact with a human to have them make up the cables.

I hope one day to actually be able to order things from a phone "Barbara Eden" style.

Yes....Area 51% is my real name. Randy is my witness protection handle.
Area 51%

Postby thomasjones42 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:20 am

You can also easily make your own cables using welding cable (AWG 2 or 4) and a relatively cheap ($53.49) Harbor Freight hydraulic crimper. Not tinned but the hydraulic crimper works well.
thomasjones42

Postby WesRagle » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:25 am

thomasjones42 wrote:You can also easily make your own cables using welding cable (AWG 2 or 4) and a relatively cheap ($53.49) Harbor Freight hydraulic crimper. Not tinned but the hydraulic crimper works well.

Hi Thomas,

sonex1374 wrote:I have used this vendor on ebay in the past. They were fast, accurate to what I ordered, and seemed well made.

Jeff

Check out the above web site. Given those prices (plus fixed shipping costs) I can't justify making my own. The only thing that could be argued is that the insulation may not be totally kosher. But, since the battery will be on the engine side of the firewall, and assuming I do a good job of sealing up the firewall, I don't think it is a concern.

The closest thing to a "Barbra Eden" phone call I'm likely to see in my lifetime.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby WesRagle » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:24 pm

Hi Guys,

Well, the plugs I ordered to leak check the fuel tank finally arrived. I know, I should have just gone to the hardware store.

Question: How do I leak test it?

I'm thinking of just plugging it up, putting some water in it, and setting it in the sun for a while and see if it builds some pressure.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:17 pm

Shoot me an email, I'll send you some pics. My Gmail address is my first name, last name, and serial number all jammed together. You can mine that data from my signature.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby woodmw » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:00 pm

Wes....a few years back I replaced the main tank in my Tcraft. I sealed the threaded ports with bull plugs, filled with water, and blew up a large balloon and stretched the balloon neck over the filler neck of the tank. Left it for a few days and the balloon looked to be the same. The tank was on my work table that is topped with wall board. No wet spots on wall board. Drained tank and installed in plane. Put in 2-3 gallons 100LL and left overnight. Next day, blue stains under tank, fortunately on newspaper I had under tank and not carpet. Very tiny pinhole in weld of bottom bung. One little zap with TIG welder and leak fixed. Leak held water but not fuel.
woodmw

PreviousNext

Return to Onex