Fitting windshield

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Fitting windshield

Postby Murray Parr » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:13 am

Anyone out there fitted the B model windshield yet? I am having a hec of a time trying to get it to line up with the skirt. Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers

Murray WXB 0015
Last edited by Murray Parr on Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murray Parr
WXB0015
Rotax 912ULS
MGL Explorer Lite
First flight May 6/23
RV9 builder (Sold)
Murray Parr

Re: Fitting windshield

Postby jowens » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:41 am

The sonex flight podcast mentioned fitting the windscreen on your work bench rather than on the airplane.
Jim Owens
Dynon HDX1100, dual controls, Viking 110, taildragger
660 Hours, first flight 10-17-2018
jowens

Postby Murray Parr » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:44 pm

Thanks Jim,

Is there any further info about it in that podcast? If so, where can I find the link?

That's the second time I have read that it should be done on the bench but the plans call for it to be done in the plane. Would be interesting to see if anyone has done it on the bench first and how well it fit back in the plane.
Murray Parr
WXB0015
Rotax 912ULS
MGL Explorer Lite
First flight May 6/23
RV9 builder (Sold)
Murray Parr

Postby sonex1374 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:52 pm

Murry,

You can find that discussion in Episode 42 "Flying the B-Model". Leroy Brandt mentioned that he fit the skirt on the plane and it did not work. He had to make a custom skirt. He said the factory guys told him to fit it flat on the bench, and that if he did it over he would have done it that way.

http://www.sonexflight.com/42

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Fitting windshield

Postby n307tw » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:59 pm

Murray,

How did you mount the glareshield, is there an easier way? I’m having a dickens of a time trying to get underneath to drill the glareshield into the longerons. There is literally no room for the drill by the rudder pedal brackets. Any suggestions you have is appreciated.

-Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim Wrede
Long Island, NY
Sonex-B #18, Nosedragger
Aeromomentum AM15, Garmin G3X
My Build Site
n307tw

Postby Murray Parr » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:51 am

Tim,

Do you have the rudder pedals installed? I had no problems with drilling the glare shield to the longerons, however, I had the fire wall off, and used a tight fit angled drill. If you don't have access to one of those, you could try using a long drill bit and use the bit of flex in the bit to help drill the hole square. I won't be riveting the fire wall on until I am finished most of that area under the glare shield. Take the rudder pedals out would help too

Hope this helps

Murray
Murray Parr
WXB0015
Rotax 912ULS
MGL Explorer Lite
First flight May 6/23
RV9 builder (Sold)
Murray Parr

Postby Murray Parr » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:06 am

Jeff,

Thanks for that.
Kerry from Sonex Tech support suggested I use towels between the glare shield and windshield to push the wind shield up into position for drilling. I have also been in contact with Leroy and got a few pointers from him also. I am going to try a combination of both methods as I am concerned if I drill it flat on the bench the holes will be in the wrong radius when I bend it all into position. My thinking is, start on a flat bench and drill around the fuel cap opening and 3 holes either side before the windshield starts to curve more. This should at least get the windshield into the correct forward/aft/centered position before drilling the rest of it in place. If I still can't push it into position I will have to remove it again and drill more around the curve. I will let you all know after next weekend how this goes. If anybody else has fitted one some more feedback would still be of great help.

Murray
Murray Parr
WXB0015
Rotax 912ULS
MGL Explorer Lite
First flight May 6/23
RV9 builder (Sold)
Murray Parr

Fitting windshield

Postby n307tw » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:06 am

Thanks for the tip Murray. I unfortunately have the floor riveted and the firewall is riveted in place along with the Aerovee turbo hanging off the front. So I guess there is no real good way to get this glare-shield drilled and cleco’d in place without contouring my body and getting in there. Guess I took the plans a wee bit too literally going by the book. If I have to take the rudder plates and pedals out I will but I was trying not to disconnect anything but I’ll try the tight drill first and I was thinking maybe cutting down the drill bits as well to get in there. Thanks again.

-Tim

Tim Wrede
Long Island, NY
Sonex-B #18, Nosedragger
Aeromomentum AM15, Garmin G3X
My Build Site
n307tw

Fitting windshield

Postby Lbrandt » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:47 am

Murray Parr wrote:Tim,

Do you have the rudder pedals installed? I had no problems with drilling the glare shield to the longerons, however, I had the fire wall off, and used a tight fit angled drill. If you don't have access to one of those, you could try using a long drill bit and use the bit of flex in the bit to help drill the hole square. I won't be riveting the fire wall on until I am finished most of that area under the glare shield. Take the rudder pedals out would help too

Hope this helps

Murray

Lbrandt

Fitting windshield

Postby Lbrandt » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:25 pm

Murray Parr wrote:Tim,

Hope this helps

Murray

Lbrandt

Next

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B