Fitting windshield

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Fitting windshield

Postby Lbrandt » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:27 pm

[quote="Lbrandt"][quote="Murray Parr"]Tim,

Do you have the rudder pedals installed? I had no problems with drilling the glare shield to the longerons, however, I had the fire wall off, and used a tight fit angled drill. If you don't have access to one of those, you could try using a long drill bit and use the bit of flex in the bit to help drill the hole square. I won't be riveting the fire wall on until I am finished most of that area under the glare shield. Take the rudder pedals out would help too

Hope this helps

Murray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lbrandt

Fitting windshield

Postby Lbrandt » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:36 pm

Lbrandt wrote:
Lbrandt wrote:
Murray Parr wrote:Tim,

Do you have the rudder pedals installed? I had no problems with drilling the glare shield to the longerons, however, I had the fire wall off, and used a tight fit angled drill. If you don't have access to one of those, you could try using a long drill bit and use the bit of flex in the bit to help drill the hole square. I won't be riveting the fire wall on until I am finished most of that area under the glare shield. Take the rudder pedals out would help too

Hope this helps

Murray

Murray
I wanted to add a few more items on the windshield install.
Your idea about getting the holes around the fuel filler is spot on. I ended up using aluminum rivets around the filler and on two or three holes either side of the filler. I couldn’t no matter how hard I tried reach up there while turning a screw driver on the outside.

I would make sure to somehow push the windshield up into position at the front and work towards the rear installing clecos or screws etc. if you work from the back it’s gets very difficult to get the windshield up into position and not have puckering.

Temporary clamps at the windshield now keep things in alignment. Sing clamps aren’t strong enough so use something with a little extra strength.

Also Murry I will be shipping you 2 - 12” pieces of 18-8 stainless for your flap pushrods. They’re less than four inches long but maybe someday someone else down under will need some.
I should get them shipped this next week.

Hope this helps a little.

Leroy

Lbrandt

Re: Fitting windshield

Postby Murray Parr » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:03 am

Thanks for the extra pointers Leroy and for organising the pushrods for me. Here is an update on how my wind shield install went. On a flat bench, I drilled the holes around the fuel filler cap and three holes either side of this, so that the front of the wind shield is in a fixed centred position. I marked all the other holes to see if it is possible to drill them all on the flat bench and also marked the windshield all around the skirt line so I can always tell if things are staying in the correct vicinity (leaving the protective coating on of coarse). Once I clecoed the skirt in position as per plans and clecoed the windshield holes that I pre drilled, I was able to get the next hole each side lined up and drilled, by stuffing towels between the glare shield and the windshield. I think these holes could have been drilled on a flat bench also (a total of 4 holes either side of the filler neck holes), but the ones after that were coming out of alignment when coming further around the curve so it is necessary to drill the rest in position. I also found that I needed to drill one hole each side at the rear of the skirt as it was easier to push the windshield forward as well as stuffing towels between the glare and wind shields again to line the rest of the holes up. It wasn't possible to drill this rear hole in the exact position but I found that by lining up where the angle changes at the bottom rear of skirt, it ended up being pretty close and these 2 holes ended up being a bit elongated but being sandwiched in between the skins and longerons it shouldn't pose a problem. I clamped the bow in position once I was happy with the fit and drilled it in position to the longerons. Once all this is done I started at the top centre of the Bow and drilled and clecoed my way around to the bottom each side, it is necessary to remove the rear bottom of skirt clecoes so the windshield can remain tight to the bow as you drill and cleco. A few other pointers that were helpful are, I marked the centre of the rear of wind shield and skirt to help make sure everything is going together true, I also marked a distance line around the bow so that I could keep it in good position before drilling. I only drilled through the windshield skirt, windshield and bow strap with 1/8 drill first then once the bow was centred I drilled it #40 for now. All the holes were drilled through with 1/8 so that it could be clecoed in position as I go. I now will have to remove everything, drill to final sizes and then debur as required. This is definitely a steady as you go job and constant checking that everything is staying in good position as you go.

Hope this and the few pointers from Leroy helps the next person with this. I am sure the procedure will get further refined as more of these are completed

Cheers

Murray
Murray Parr
WXB0015
Rotax 912ULS
MGL Explorer Lite
First flight May 6/23
RV9 builder (Sold)
Murray Parr

Postby T41pilot » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:20 am

Do you have any pictures Murray? I'm just getting ready to try to fit the windshield and am having a bit of trouble deciding how to line up the windshield on the skirt before drilling the holes around the filler neck. Since the windshield is not the same size or shape as the skirt, it is taking some head scratching. At this point it appears that the aft side of the windshield lines up with the aft side of the skirt pretty closely but the cutout for the fuel filler in the windshield is offset from the skirt in the aft direction. Is this correct? If anybody has some photos for the B model windshield install that would be greatly helpful.
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
T41pilot

Postby Area 51% » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:55 pm

Hey Gregg.....

Did you and your dad fly a T41 out of Grant Airport?
Area 51%

Postby EdW » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:01 pm

Area 51% wrote:Hey Gregg.....

I'm not Greg, but I fly a T-41A out of KFYE, Fayette County (TN).

Ed
EdW

Postby T41pilot » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:06 pm

Area 51% wrote:Hey Gregg.....

Yes, I originally bought the Airplane ( a T41B Army version) and then my dad and I later co-owned it. I sold it some years back but still miss it.
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
T41pilot

Postby Murray Parr » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:20 pm

Gregg,

i don't have pictures, but you are right. align the trailing edge of the windshield with the edge of the skirt and align the filler neck to the side edges. The filler neck is further aft of the skirt to allow for the fuel door latch. Plenty of head scratching and forward planning is ok. A broader view of how it fits into all the associated components helps here.

Cheers

Murray
Murray Parr
WXB0015
Rotax 912ULS
MGL Explorer Lite
First flight May 6/23
RV9 builder (Sold)
Murray Parr

Postby magicpilot » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:14 am

Hi,
I probably can make some pictures tomorrow night ... .
Just as side note ... Sonex sent me a new windshield somewhat last year saying the tinting wasn‘t right but it was rather that the cut was different especially around the fuel door - just saying - I hope you have the right cut - but I really try to sent u pictures of mine as it is installed.

Cheers
Blue skies!
Juergen „Astro“ Voll
WXB0017
Aerovee Turbo
GRT Sport EX/Eis6000
magicpilot

Postby T41pilot » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:18 pm

magicpilot wrote:Hi,
I probably can make some pictures tomorrow night ... .
Just as side note ... Sonex sent me a new windshield somewhat last year saying the tinting wasn‘t right but it was rather that the cut was different especially around the fuel door - just saying - I hope you have the right cut - but I really try to sent u pictures of mine as it is installed.

Cheers

Sonex sent me a new windshield last year, so I have the right one. The cutout around the fuel filler area was larger on my original probably for the legacy model. The advice about being able to line up the aft edge with the skirt should help alot since that was the only way I could see the pilot holes on the skirt being able to contact the windshield in all areas with reasonable edge clearance. I'm guessing additional trimming is probably necessary during the install. If you have any pictures, that would be great! I live in the sticks, so I don't have another person to lend extra hands for holding things up so I'll have to use the towel stuffing idea to hold it in place. Haven't tried yet. Thanks for your help
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
T41pilot

PreviousNext

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B